1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $150 for Genz Benz 2x10 good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Apr 28, 2010.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't know the model but I am assuming it would be their cheapest line. Is $150 a good price?

Would it make a good extension cab for an SWR350 with a workingmans 4x10?

Thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. if it works 150 is a good price

3. I think so as long as it works properly.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have that same cab as a combo (ML 200-210)... Mine is non-tilting (though later models are)... It is an 8 ohm cab. Works great as a stand-alone or extension (would sound great with an SWR 350 IMO)... If that fits your requirements, then $150 seems a good deal to me...

-robert

5. Make sure its not the guitar cab....

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    that popped in my head too for the price

7. GB makes/made guitar stuff ?

8. If you are going to pair it with a 4x10 the 2x10 should have twice the impedance of the 4x10. IE 4Ω 4x10 + 8Ω 2x10 or 8Ω 4x10 + 16Ω 2x10. This will provide each driver with about the same power.

Paul

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Can always use a cable with added impedance to balance it out correctly right?

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    The workingmans is a 400 watt cab. I wonder what the power rating is on the GB

Also how do I make sure it is a bass cab vs guitar cab. Could I assume that if it says rated over 200 watts then it is bass? (most guitar amps are under 100 watts.)

Thanks,
    Joe

11. korngold

korngold

Nov 10, 2006
    Iowa
    It looks like GB's "LS" line from about 9 years ago. I have an LS112T and it's a great cab. I would guess that it's a bass cab b/c they usually don't make guitar cabs with 2 10" speakers, and they rarely put tweeters in guitar cabs. Looks like an LS-210T, but from an earlier batch. My other cab is called a "GB12T" and looks the same as the LS-112T with the exception of a white baffle (like the one in your potential cab). Same big square holed grille, too. The 1x12 cabs are really solid and sound great. I would guess the 2x10 would, as well.

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1428&sid=631&cid=118

Note that others have pointed out some issues you may have pairing a 4x10 with a 2x10. If you have a 2 ohm stable solid state head and your 4x10 cab is 4 ohms (and if this cab ends up being 8ohms), then it *should* work and each speaker should get about the same power. Your amp will see a 2.667ohm load. I wouldn't do this if you have a tube head.

If both cabs are 8 ohms, I think the speakers in the 2x10 will receive twice the power of each speaker in the 4x10, but your amp will see a 4ohm load. Should be fine for most SS or tube amps, but will throw the brunt of the sound to the 2x10.

12. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    No.

13. Well, you could, but it would just be a waste of power going to a resistor!

And to whoever said about guitar stuff, GB still make guitar amps and cabs :)

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    That doesn't count :spit:

:D

15. Think about it tho, you could make some sort of heating element to keep your hands warm or something :p

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Looks like an LS (or possible a GB series), definately not one of our guitar cabinets as we never made one with a tweeter.

Yes, we have made (and still make) guitar amps and cabinets.

17. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes being a electronics repairman I am fully aware of that. I need a good thick high quality resistor just because it would be turning all the extra power into heat and bass power can get pretty high.

On a related note... it's not easy being green.

18. I also vote no. Bad idea, just turns power into heat...and as you are aware, potentially a LOT of heat. And there's the potential for the cable to eventually be used in the wrong place, or for it not to be used and have the amp melt. There's no reason to set yourself up for problems.

And there you have the definitive answer!