Is 175 watts enough to power a Bergantino HT112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stagelab, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 amp and I'm planning to buy a used 8 ohm Berg HT112. From reading about the Bergs, I know I'll love the tone. But I'm concerned my amp isn't powerful enough for the 112. It'll only give 175 watts to one 8 ohm cab. Any Berg players out there who can weigh in?

I don't play gigs that require a 500 watt head right now, but it seems most high quality cabs out there demand more power.

2. I don't think they demand more power; they can utilise it and dissipate more as heat than lower rated speakers. 175 watts will be plenty I would think. But remember it's still only a one twelve and even Bergantino can't defeat the laws of physics. Two one twelve cabs will handle most situations but a single isn't enough for me.

3. You’ll be fine.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO the answer will depend upon how loud you need to be. SPL comes from the combination of available/usable power and speaker efficiency. I believe the HT112's efficiency is 97dB 1W/1M which is pretty decent for a single 12.

Later on, consider adding a second HT112 or the matching EX112. This will double the max power the TH350 can put out, so speaker coupling will boost SPL by ~6dB.

5. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I sometimes think an FAQ should contain "Watts are no more a measure of your rig's volume than horsepower is a measure of your vehicle's speed". 175 Watts driving a very efficient speaker array is an awful lot of volume. The same 175 Watts driving a single low budget low efficiency driver is not very loud. Wasnex, ISTM, is right on the money. Run it if you like the sound, and save up the pennies for a second cabinet if you need it - unless of course you're playing with Ted Tinnitus and his Earmelters...

6. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the input. You can consider this thread complete.

7. Nobody gets out of a ''what watts is enough thread'' that easily.

Don't think you can put 800w up two of the cabs on 11 either.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021