Is 1x10'' enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, May 31, 2005.

1. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Hello friends.

Once again I need your help...

I am considering buying a yamaha head BBT500H and a matching cab... I leaning towards the 1x10'' since size really is an issue and, of course, money... I can get both (head + 1x10'') at 765 €, what seems to be a good deal here in Portugal.

At this time I only play at home and record a little, but I am afraid that 1x10'' is not enough... I'm affraid that it lacks low-end and "balls"...

What do you think?

Thank you once again for your time...

Best Regards.
  2. I think for home or recording use it would be fine. You may want to consider something else for gigs or band practice though. Also depends on the type of music you play for a small jazz gig or acoustic band it may fit the bill. I certainly wouldn't believe it would be ok for a rock, blues or pop band though.

You could get it and add to it later say running a 2x10 & 1x10 OR 1x10 & 1x15.

Personally, I'm not sure of your financial situation but I would try to get the 2x10. Here in the US, the difference is $100.00 USD between the 1x10 & the 2x10. I would also assume the 2x10 would have a bit more booty. and you could always add another 2x10 down the road if needed.
  3. I have successfully used 1x10's as stage monitors at church. Not really a loud gig but easily enough for my needs. I would recommend that you get an 8 ohm cabinet. That way if you do add cabinets you won't have to worry about impedance issues. Although I'm not familiar iwth the Yammie enough to know what the limit is for that amp.
  4. A 10" will do you fine for home and recording stuff. If you're worried you won't get enough low end, you could spring for a 12" speaker, they're usually more dynamic. Like everybody else said, if you plan on playing out, a 10" may not cut it, so it'd probably be best to get a 8 ohm speaker so you can add more later.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a Fender Bassman 25 1x10. It wouldn't keep up with any of the drummers I play with, but has a surprising amount of low end for such a small combo, and sounds great for home rehearsal.
  6. That head gives its full 500W at 2 ohms, so a 4 ohm will be what he wants if/when adding another cab comes about.

On the 1x10 issue, I agree it'll be fine for practise and recording purposes. And yes, it is also a good deal. :)
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    excellent advice, although i can't imajine anyone making a 4 ohm 1x10 cab.

some 1x10 cabs are fantastic, personally, i'd love to have four bag end or epifani 1x10 cabs and a lil' head that could drive a 2 ohm load. :cool:
  8. Acme makes a 4ohm Low B 110. Two work great with a Clarus... given that the cabs need some power, one at 4ohms results in 200 watts out of the Clarus and sounds good with acoustic bass guitar or upright. Two allows the full 300 watts from the Clarus and its loud enough for a moderate size gig.
  9. Yes, it'll be enough. Provided you get two of them, weld a strap across them and wear them like headphones. ;)
  10. I use an Eden CXC110, which has a lot of output.

That Yamaha head will only develop 500 watts if you have 2 four ohm cabs. Secondly, the new Ashdown digital head is the same price new, is MIDI programmable, also fully digital 250 x 2 and is the looks really cool.
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It depends what 110 you're using. MY rig is soon going to be a single Tri110L :D!
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to ACME, my Hevos Midget is a 4 ohm cab, and believe it or not, for gigs with adequate PA support, I can keep up on stage volume with a loud drummer and a tricked out Marshall half stack using only my Midget and WWU! Talk about a mighty mini rig! :D
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i have an 80 watt 110 by swr. Its good for practice but useless for bands. Even with a drummer, if he is playing hard, you wont keep up with a single 10. Anyways, even if u can keep up with a drummer, youll never be able to turn up higher and might as well get a 210 or mabye a 112 ar 115
  15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    +1 here.
    Those little sucker go down to like 36 Hz. The spl is a little low, in the area of 98db. But there are trade offs when getting a single box to put out low end.
    One is power handling, the CXC110 is only 200watts or so and the second is effeciency (see above).
    But all being said, my main rig (used 80% of the time) is a Eden Time Traveler (TT330) in the CXC110 combo with a CXC110 extension cab and it just kills with either a 5 string or 4 (both Sadowsky BTW :smug: )
  16. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I suppose it depends on the box...

Yes, yes, yes, me likey me horns!!
  17. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Thank you so much for yout time and attention... Really fantastic...

I have yet to try this cab as I only tested the BBT500H with a matching 2x10'' (sound really nice and versatile, by the way)... But probably it will be enough for the purposes...

My main concern about the all idea of this rig is that it seems that this head sound is better thru yamaha cabs than thru others brands cabs.... Well.... I don't if this is true... Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thank you once again.

Best Regards.

18. That's a tough one because I don't think many TB'ers have the Yamaha head. Only advice I could give is do a road trip. Bring the head & your bass with you (luckily the head is only 10 lbs) & try different configurations at various retailers.

Then again I'm not sure of your choice of bass gear in Portugal. How is Lisbon for music stores? By the way, are you Portugese or just living in Portugal? If your Portugese your English is very good. :)
  19. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    1 X 10" doesn't seem enough for any public performance, it won't hang with drums for sure. My opinion is you're never going to push enough air to cut through the mix without a lot of help from a P.A.
  20. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    I covered a small house party with an Epi 110UL, giving it a little over 300W. Drums, 2 guitars, extra percussion, and vocals, and the Epi still got it done with my Stingray. I let someone else play for a while and I went outside to listen and all I could hear was the bass...could be good or bad I suppose... :rolleyes: I should also note that I had it sitting directly on the floor, no gramma pad isolation, etc. The band's volume wasn't raging rock band loud, but still pretty loud and the Epi performed.