1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is 1x15 add-on worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hambone1, Nov 29, 2006.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I am about to order a gk 410rbh cab. I have a choice of a 4ohm or 8 ohm version.

Should I go w/ 8ohm so that I can add a 1x15 later? Or should I get 4 ohm? In other words is the 1x15 worth it I.e. adding to sound or will I sacrifice potential volume by not getting the 4 ohm?

As of now I think the 1x15 is a bit much.

opinions?

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Go with your gut. If you think 1x15 is too much, it is.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    How much power do you have, and what kind of amp is it?

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you have an amp that runs can run at 2 ohms get the 4ohm cab and you can still add the 115 later and it will run at 2.6 ohm.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Its always nice to have the option of adding a second cab if its needed. Therefore I would go for an 8 ohm cab so that you aren't limiting yourself to just one cab.

6. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I have a 1001rbII head(4ohm min.). My concern is that the 8ohm would not allow me to play large shows until I can get/afford the 15.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i don't know what kind of bottom or volume that 4x10 has.

my 4x10 is a bit much by itself so a 1x15 would be excessive....but it's fun to be excessive...if you don't mind carrying it...

:bassist:

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't know how you define large shows, but the 1001RB-II is a real powerhouse, so with an efficient 8 ohm 4x10 you should be fine for fairly substantial gigs. (I see the G-K RBH is rated at 103 db, so it probably fits the bill.) I have the 700RB-II and a very efficient SWR Goliath III, and it's more than enough for the rooms I play. At a recent club show, the sound guy said, "Man, that bass amp is loud as $#!t!." The master was on 3. It was even enough for a pretty loud outdoor show, without PA support.

So I'd go that route. If you need to move more air sometimes, just get the 1x15" later. Then you'll have a choice when you want to bring only one cab.

If, however, you know or strongly suspect the rooms you'll play have bass-draining acoustics and lame PA support, I might recommend otherwise. It's only happened to me once, but I have played a room that wasn't very large, but required me to push the rig more than I'd like. It was still more than enough, but in those situations the extra headroom would be nice. (Of course, you'll have a head start with the 1001RB-II instead of the 700RB-II.) Then again, an extra cab would have been nice too...it never ends.

9. My experience is that adding a 15 to a 410 will give you a deeper, fuller, bigger sound overall. I like it better myself, but I'll admit I hate draging a second cab out for shows. But the truth is I can use the exercise and if I think it sounds better then why not. So, I'd get the 8 ohm and add on later, but ymmv!

Good luck!

10. If you have the luxury of a two channel power amp, a pair of identical 2x10 makes more noise than a 4x10. It is also more likely to have a larger cabinet volume relative to the drivers installed. This is better for the bottom end.

I personally don't care for the 15" commercial cabs. I have not yet seen one that is optimally designed for its driver.
    Worse, the frequency ranges of the 15 overlap with the 4x10. From the engineering point of view, it is pointless to have two separate technologies overlapping the same frequency range. YMMV.

Really big shows have PA support. Chelsea, the bassist in my daughter's band (www.aroarah.com) uses a D410-XLT and SWR-2002 everywhere. They play all the big clubs with full PA support, so the Eden is really just a stage monitor. She gets buried playing outdoor gigs without full PA support, so bass horns are mandatory here.

If you play 5-string and/or a lot of outdoor gigs, skip the 15" and do a 15" Titan48 bass horn, and high pass the 4x10. Neither box will overlap nor cancel the other, and you will have the bottom that is otherwise missing outdoors.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    a 1001rbII into an 8ohm cab (in my case various 210s) can still be set to kill.

12. How bout getting a 2x10 with a 1x15? Bigger than the 4x10 if needed and can use one of them for practise etc. since you said that the 4x10 is already an overkill for you.
    I had a 4x10 my self and i end up with the 2x10 and a 1x15. Much easier to move around alone, and using a 1x15 as a stand alone sometimes make you think/play different.