1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is 2 months too soon?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BrianL, Apr 19, 2010.

1. BrianL

BrianL

Apr 17, 2010
    Hi all! I'm a nube here and to the bass in general. I've been playing for a little over 2 months now between 1-2 hour every day, and I'm at the point where I can play a bunch of songs pretty cleanly to the recordings (to my ear, at least). I know all the notes on the E and A strings, and I know where the octave, 4th and 5th are in relation to what I'm playing. I'm working on my 1st position major and minor scales. I consider myself an 'advanced beginner', and probably benefited from the 2+ years of nightly guitar practice I did before I discovered the bass.

So my question: Is it too soon to be looking for others to play with? How do you know when your ready? I've never played with anyone else before, and (frankly) I'm afraid of laughed out the practice space.

Sorry if this has been asked before - I wasn't having luck with 'Search'...

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    It's always a good thing to get out and play with others. It's part of the development.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    You are light years ahead of some

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Go for it. You can probably find other players of other instruments at the same point as you, and you can grow together.

5. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    There are something like 10,000 unavoidable playing mistakes that no amount of "practice" will get you out of. The sooner you get out there and start getting them out of the way the better. It will actually be good for you.

6. dukaruk

dukaruk

Mar 12, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    Find people to play with. It doesn't have to be your dream gig.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thank goodness you asked about playing with other folks! I thought you were going to ask "Is it too soon to upgrade my gear?" - -

Find other dudes and play with them - NOW! Just don't expect much more than fun and learning.

Wait to upgrade your gear until you really know what you want.

8. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    NEVER!!!!!!! I had some backround with upright, but when I went into a band, they couldn't mic me cause they didn't have the right mic. They gave me a bass guitar and I had to learn while I practiced. I played live in front of people THE VERY NEXT DAY=]!!!!!!!
    Two is plenty of time. =]

9. It depends, It will be akward for you If you have to learn there songs. On the other hand it will be akward for them if they have to learn your songs.
    Either way, If they laugh at you it's becuase the think there famous and your 'hurting' there image. When this happens, you should be laughing at them.
    But to answer your question, if your able to learn, then your able to play...
    Playing with people is a skill on it's own. Don't wait till you play awsome in you bedroom because this dosn't help you play with others.

I trying to make sense, hope it works.:)

10. Looks like you know how to grab a R and a R-5 also know where the 4 is located.....

Your good to go IF you can manage (hear or read) the chord changes.

Go have fun.

11. BrianL

BrianL

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks, all - I guess I'm not going to find my excuse to stall here!

I've already run into a couple of guys on Craigslist that are looking to put groups together to play 'just for fun'. Neither seemed troubled by my limited skills, so I guess I'll give it a go. The first jam may be as early as this Sunday; I'm nervous, but if this is part of what it takes to learn, I'm all over it.

12. 'Just for fun' is probably beter for you than 'serious only'. There probably looking for a no preasure kind of thing.

I would probably keep in contact with them trough the week. See if there is a song from a band that you all listen to that you can use to break the ice and play together upon meeting the first time.

I always try to get a sample of something that they allready wrote and lean it before I get there. This could help you 'jump right in'.

13. BrianL

BrianL

Apr 17, 2010
    I'm with you, Ray. The first guy said that he planned on sending out a set list we can prepare from - he's looking to do covers from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

The second guy wants to do original stuff and covers. He's ok with the idea of deciding on at least some of the songs in advance, too, so that will help.

14. If you can Root -->5 to a chord chart you're in a better position to start than many who already have.

Find some people and Have Fun.

15. They sound like reasonable people.
    It may be more fun than you think. After all, it is 'just for fun'.;)

16. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I learned to play bass while I was in my first band. I had played drums for 12 years at the time and was in Jazz band in HS. Between Jazz band and my adoration for Iron Maiden I've always loved and wanted to play bass. I went to check out my old singers new project and saw that they didn't have a bass player. I called the bassist for the other band that they shared a warehouse with and asked if I could use his rig. He said sure. A month later I sold my drums and bought an Ampeg rig and I was a bass player. If the guys you play with are patient and you learn the basics of the songs (originals) for practice and explore them on your free time and implement the things you change during the next practice. You and your bandmates will be impressed by your advances. A year later one of my guitar heroes, as a kid, joined our band.

So find some people either at your level or that you are good friends with who aren't looking to get signed tomorrow. You do sound like you are far ahead of most players with the same amount of time you've put into playing. Good Luck.

17. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    Somewhat on topic observation. When I was in high school jazz band I was always reading off the chart, my eyes were permanently fixed on the notes. The songs were pretty complicated and the music called for synocapation with the other instruments so I tried to be perfect, talk about anxiety. This experience helped me play in front of a few hundred people, but it didnt get me ready to learn how to really play my instrument. I was in a way just going through the motions, or so it felt. Read this, play that.
    So..I put performing behind me when I went to college, but when I graduated my friend asked me to be in their rock band. In a way I had to completely relearn how to play because I wanted to learn how to really play off the other instruments, while not looking at music, while trying to make consistent eye contact with the audience. This was a major learning curve for me. At the current moment I am still working on modes and technique that allow me to be more versatile in my playing abilities. But If I had been taken out of element when I was younger in high school and was able to really enjoy playing with others I would be much further along then I am now. I say go out and play, I wish I did.

18. BrianL

BrianL

Apr 17, 2010
    This is great feedback! Tony - I would think it takes guts to 'learn by doing' from the start - my hat's off to you. dog - I've always regretted that I didn't learn to read music back in school; learning some of the theory a year ago made a lot of musical stuff 'click' for me, and I've got a better understanding of what I'm trying to do and why now. I hear you on learning to play off other musicians and pay attention to the audience; it will be interesting to see how difficult those skills are.

I didn't mention to start - I'm 42 and have a day job, so this is just a hobby for me, albeit one I take pretty seriously. No aspirations to be a star at this age, but I do have a goal to play live 'just for fun' with a group within 5 years.

19. togglehead

togglehead Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    In addition to everything else said, i offer this.

If youre lucky enough to find players that are just a bit better than you...and are ok with you being just a touch behind and supportive to growth....that most often makes players YEARN to get just a bit better to acclimate. Keep moving on up. and dont let anyone hold you back.

Even in the rest of life i try to surround myself with people who are smarter than me. I always learn something.

20. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Too soon? Dude, find anyone to play with. Preferably find a very good drummer who can keep a SOLID rhythm. I can guarantee you'll come along leaps and bounds just by hearing something other than your own sound for a while.