Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 24 Racist & Sexist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blipndub, Jan 13, 2005.

1. It seems like they draw on all the stereotypes for characters from the always accented dark skinned evil-doers to the uptight b#$ch executive, white nerdy computer boy, etc.

And, how come the women of color in the show are always conniving double crossers? What's up with that?

I guess I shouldn’t expect much more from Fox. So why am i watching it again?

2. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Last year it was my favorite show. I'm a little dissapointed about the cliche acting this season, though, and you really raise some good point. I'm going to stick it out though.

3. It's pretty compelling, like a soap opera with enough violence to spice it up. No Kim cleavage this year however...unfortunately.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Well, it does show an African-American as president of the United States, just his old lady is evil. I didn't really think about their color until you mentioned it.

5. That's true, the president was an honest a fair guy, but he was not a strong leader and his authority was always in question - not characteristics highlighted in this season's president, so far anyway.

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    To me (and I am serious,) the character of Mrs. Palmer is a positive thing for African-Americans. She is smart, cunning, and complex (although wicked.) All of that in a pair of "sensible" shoes makes for a pretty attractive package.

7. That's interesting. And also the show plays around with the ideas of the good/evil dicotomy. Jack is the hero but he does some pretty bad things (to the bad guys). So not even he is absolute good. It seems the only "pure" characters are the young blonde girls (Kim, Debbie) but last season a pretty blonde was a terrorist, hmmm.

I wonder if the show uses stereotypes to set up dual characters. Can you link two characters with seeminly opposing traits and develop a singular archtype?

Jack/Kim: hardened/innocent
    Pres/Mrs Palmer: Wisdom, indecision/assertiveness, political savy
    Sect Heller/Aubre: corruption, war industrialist/humanist.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't see how... the first two seasons the President was black. He even had a white mistress. F'd up people come in all shapes & sizes... no particular demographic has cornered THAT market, yet.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    What's "24"? Sounds weird.

10. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    It may have some stereotypes, it may require you to suspend reality at times (Cellphone batteries that never go dead) it may be totally manipulative at others. In spite of that, it is the only show on each week that I will absolutey not miss. After a lousy Monday at work it is a pure adrenaline ride of a show. In the first episode, it was 40 mins of boredom while they set everything up for the story. Then when Jack went to warn the daughter of the SOD that he was the target and that missile flew by behind her, it was time to grab the couch and hang on Sally!

What fun it must be to be a writer on this show:

"Ok. The bad guy is in the quick mart and they can't get the satellite repositioned soon enough to track him. What should we have Jack do to stall him?"

(Scratching head)"Hmmmmmmmmm....well how about if we have Jack hold up the store??"

"Brilliant!!!!"

LOL. Some of the most fun TV since the original 60's Batman series in my opinion.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    About 99% of all popular movies and TV shows are full of cliched characters.

brad cook

12. Correct. I guess the real question is "Is it down to racism and sexism, or just unimaginative story-writing?"...

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The African- American characters on that show aren't stereotypical. The nerdy white guy is a commonly used on a lot of shows.

14. Agreed that cliched characters are not exclusive to 24.

I thought the first 40 minutes were really dull too, but it's been great since then. I love the gas station robbery and the "there was supposed to be 18 thousand dollars in the safe" to explain why Jack was such a pro and not a bungling crack head. Can't wait to see how he takes on Ponch and John.

I think it's fairly imaginative, tho clearly unrealistic. My girlfriend and i thought it would be cool if they took the 24 hours into radically different terrians, like instead of CTU have it be another agency with other main protagonists than Jack, andlike have other cool stars every season (like Ewan McGregor or one of the Walbergs).

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't watch the show, so I dont know.

Political correctness sucks ass.

16. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Dude, the head terrorists in the past three seasons have all been white.

A black man was the President.

???

17. Exactly. If anything, "24" has avoided stereotypes. In the first episode of Season One, a hot white chick blows up a plane mid-flight. I remember being really surprised they portrayed that so shortly after 9/11. And in the second season, they made it out to look like that Arab guy was the terrorist, and then it turns out to be his lily white future father-in-law.

18. ok, i hadn't thought about that. But i'm not sure that takes Fox off the hook. They've gotten plenty of heat about the depiction of Muslins (family plot to kill kill kill) and the protrayal of Mexican drug lords last season was pretty bad too.

I may be just fishing but when I observed the black female lead this season I was so reminded of Sherri that I wondered about a pattern.

Although to Fox's credit they (more than other networks) have increased the presense of people of color over the past few years.

19. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    You can make just about any show sexist/racist if you just look at it in the right way. :eyebrow:

I doubt that the people who did the casting for 24 thought to themselves "Hmmm... Let's see.. If we let that character be black.. ...and.. ...hmmm... ..that one a man and the other a woman, then we'll be sure to have put a lot of discrimination in here!! :hyper: "

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I thought "Band of Brothers" was racist...I mean they kept protraying the Germans as the "bad guys"..... :meh: It was definately sexist too, I mean there wasn't a single female in the whole of Easy Company....sheesh!