1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is $2500 out the door too much for a fireglo 4001c64?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cewillm, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sorry for the thread. At Sam Ash now and I worked the price of this bass down from $2,899. Did my homework but neither the sales guy nor I can come up with a proper price. Thanks for fast replies.

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    The internet is your friend. Look up your answer and don't worry about opinions on the price vs the market reality you can look up.

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Check your PM.

4. cewillm

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks guys. I went for it. Didn't expect to drop a nice chunk of change on another Ric tonight, but the opportunity presented itself!

The problem, MEKer, is that it is hard to find a lot of past sales for the 4004c64 on the Internet (and especially on a mobile device ;)). From eBay, Talkbass, and NFA's help, it appears that $2,500 is a fair price. The Fireglos seem to go for a little more than the Mapleglos.

5. Franklin Mills? I'm shocked they had one on the floor. I've only seen them with a Ric, and that was about two years ago!

6. cewillm

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nope, King of Prussia (DeKalb Pike). I don't like them very much (drab store, poor selection), but I like to check in every few months. I got a buddy at the Plymouth Meeting GC that gives me good deals, but of course Bass Specialties is my favorite.

They have a Jetglo 4003 in stock.. looks like it just came in. Someone better grab it before it gets knocked up by dumb-ass kids. Also had a 1987 burgundy 4003 listed as a "60s 4001".

The sales guy dropped the price without hesitation. Said their "vintage guy" picked it up at the Oaks guitar show. I can't imagine they paid more than $2,000 for it.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Buy a 4003 for $1500

8. cewillm

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Already have a 4003 and, like you saw, a 4004L and a 4004Cii, although I may return the Laredo...

And, hey! This was my chance to have rounds on the 4003 and flats on my 4004c64. It was meant to be.