Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IS 2x18 a bit much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Aug 17, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm drooling over the idea of a piar of Bag End S18B-D's. I hear it's probably one of the most articulate 18's out there, is that right? would they do ok as standalone cabs?

How would this compare to the old 2x18 folded horn acoustic cab? (That's the sound I'm after :))

2. kgantzer

kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    Ohio
    The old Acoustic 301 cabinet included a SINGLE 18" driver in a very large folded horn enclosure. It can be difficult to hear on stage, but projects TONS of sound from 25 or more feet out. Not sure about the Bag End 18s, however I suspect they are front loaded, and far more articulate than the older technology of the Acoustic 301. The 301's move lots of air.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for the info. Wow. Those 301's sure are big for just one driver!

4. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    For what it's worth I've seen pictures of Phil Lesh (sp) using a huge 2x18 (maybe Bagend) cab on stage with the Dead. I'm not a big fan of 18s (or of Lesh) but here's a guy with tons of giging experience and the ability to get whatever he wants and that's what he used at that time.

Also, Tommy Shannon used to use two of those Peavey 2x18 + 2x10 cabinets with Double Trouble. When I saw them his sound was very impressive - massive yet defined. Of course he was up against SRV's armada of fender twins (I think he had 6 of them).

5. Remember, when you hear those guys live, most of the time virtually all the sound you are hearing comes from the PA. I have a feeling in Lesh's case, he was using those cabs to add some wump in his low end for stage sound, etc. Given the state of the art in cab design, construction, etc., I can't see any advantage/reason to use 18" speakers any more. It seems the loss in definition and punch would overwhelm any slight increase in the low end, especially with those small BagEnd 18 boxes (IMO, of course).

6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

that "18's are great and all, and the modern ones will provide all the note definition you need. The problem is that by the time start to get note definition you are way to @$%^#$ loud !"

I still like 18's (PARTICULARLY EV's)

YMMV

Wesley R. Lonnquist

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
  8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Peavey's 3620 was two 10s and two 18s. Those who owned them here seem to reminisce fondly. I say go for it, it would look killer. I would still think some sort of 10", 12" or tweeter would be in order to accompany it though, bigger speakers are not renown for having the fullest treble. The low end would be absolutley wall shaking though.

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    In my experience with 18's-they sound great if you are far enough away. Using it on stage, you probably won't be able to hear what they are doing. They also require a good amount of juice.

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    From what I've heard those BE 18's are very responsive cabs for 18s. I considered getting one awhile back, cause there was a nice deal goin' on ebay. I ended up with 2 Bag End S15's, 1 w/ the coax tweeter. They are amazing...I can't believe how full range these cabs are. Even the one without the coax is remarkably fast and defined in the highs.

FWIW, Bag End recommends their Q10X-d or D10X-d paired with an S18.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe you should get 2 S18's and a Q10X-d for on top :eek: :D

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Snap! that would be bumpin'!!

edit: my opinion on 18" speakers is that they should have some sort of tweeter or be paired with a smaller-speaker cab. Just for range in frequencies.

12. I used the s15 and s15x stack for many years. Very nice stuff... although kind of heavy by today's standards.

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats what I'm using now...Its so sweet. Still lighter and more compact than alot of stuff out there. The s15x-d is kinda heavy.