Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 32" scale considered to be a short scale bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Feb 29, 2004.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I just picked up an '83 Roadstar II off of the Bay and found out it's a 32" scale. I'm still trying to decide if I like this shorter scale. Everything I have now is 34".

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    32" is considered medium scale if I remember correctly, and 30" is considered short scale.

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I've used a Kubicki now for about 7 years as my main bass - I have no problems with it. To determine whether it's for you, borrow a capo from a guitarist, put it on the 1st fret of your current bass, tune down a 1/2 step. Voila - instant 32" scale.

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'd consider a 32" a "short-scale" bass. That's how I refur to my 32" scale bass from Darrin Huff.

When you think about it, 34" seems to be the "standard". I'd consider a 36" scale bass a "long-scale" and 34" to be medium. Anything shorter than a 34" I think could be called a "short-scale". I don't think there is a "rule" for labeling scale lengths.

--Matthew

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The way I understand it:

30" is short scale
    32" is medium
    34" is long
    35-37" is extra long

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Eric has it listed out correctly. If you look at string packages, they go by that line of thinking to determine what size you need for your bass. I think 34" should be considered standard, but it's still technically long scale.

7. I think it all started in the 50's and 60's, there was only 2 scales, 34" and 30.5"..since 30.5 was called "short scale"...it would be obvious that 34 would be called "long scale". They probably wouldnt have thought that there would ever be 32" 35" and 36" scales.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Pix please!

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It is as it was. :bassist:

10. no ... those are all short scale my db (a 3/4 so not even full size) has a 41.5" scale length :p

j/k, that list is about right, although there are a few basses with up to 39" scale length

11. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Hey jondog,

I haven't had the chance to take any shots with my digital camera yet but I have exactly the same bass as the one in this Ibanez catalog from 1981.

[​IMG]

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Sweet! I love my '83 Roadstar II, mine is a 3 color burst w/ a humbucker. It has a rosewood neck -- I've been looking for one w/ a maple neck like yours to match it. I've also been looking to try one of the 5 strings from that era.

13. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    So is your Roadstar II like my other one?

[​IMG]

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No, but that's another nice one. It's like this . . . Sorry for the poor pic quality, and cheezy smile :)

15. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    That's the RB920...I want one of those. They also made a Silver one with a single Super J pickup like yours. We are out of luck on trying to find basses like ours with a maple fretboard. They never made 'em. I do want one of the old Roadsters though...they made those in Maple boards and the have the same Accu-Cast bridge.

I had no idea what the model numbers were and so forth even on mine until The Ibanez Vintage page put up some catalog scans. Check out their page and look at the catalog from 1981 it tells all about my bass and yours too!

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool site, but I can't find '81 . . .

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats almost exactly like mine.

Mine is a blue green burst with the neck PU having two rows of polepieces like the bridge and slightly diffrent control positions.

Does yours have push knobs for coil splitting?

Peace
    Nick