Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 35" or longer scale Fender jazz a good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassit, Aug 29, 2005.

1. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    I like long and huge bass body, and fender jazz std seems wonderful ,but anyone can tell me if fender provide 35" or longer scale Jazz bass guitar? thank you!!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

35" scale is usually found on basses with 5 or more strings... it's pretty rare on 4 string basses. As far as I know, Fender doesn't make a 35" bass.

As for whether it's a good idea: difficult to answer! 35" scale does have a slightly different tone and feel. After trying both, I'm as satisfied with 34" as I am with 35".

3. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Longer scale basses certainly have an advantage sound wise, but at the trade off of playability. Carl Thompson advocates 36" and 38" scales. This would certainly eliminate any chance of dead spots and would sound wonderful, but the neck would have to be made of granite. Not to mention a man would have to have huge hands to play it.

I think there is a definite and significant tonal advantage to a longer scale bass, but only if you can play it effectively. I can't...so its 34" for me. Remember, played a 32" bass on School Days, and he sounds fine to me.

To get a 35" four string you would probably have to go through fenders custom shop.

Chad

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

The physical size of th bass is typically no different with a 35" scale. In fact, my Quantum (35" scale) is actually about an inch shorter in overall length than my Fender MIA JD5. which is 34".

We are only talking an inch. Most makers find it with some combination of setting the bridge further back on the body and/or combining a deeper inset neck pocket with an extended strap horn.

FWIW, while I gladly hold my Q5 up against any bass on the planet, I think there is a certain warmth and a little softer, more rounded tone that comes out with the Fender that I think may be compromised if the bass was a 35" scale, especially in the upper register.

5. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thats probably true. You may lose some warmth from a 35" bass, but you can probably make that up with a mahogany body and rosewood board....unless of course, that what you are already playing. You could lean more towards the neck pickup to get some warmth, but it probably won't sound the same. How much different is the ?.

By the way, Warwick sells four string basses with a 35" scale if its that important to you, but it won't sound like a Fender.

Chad

6. According to Warwicks Price List, 35" scale is only available on 5 strings. :rollno: Even then Its like a $350 up charge or sumthin. :scowl:

7. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Fenders don't suffer when the scale length is extended. I had a '57 RI P that a 36" neck was bolted on to and it sounded killer.

A true down side is that they will neck dive horribly when you get beyond 35".

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My 4-string fodera is 36" scale! :hyper:

9. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    thanks for all the details! and find that fender seldom makes 5 string basses,so I guess 34" is the gold-point for the heart-beat-sequence of the strings. Then I will take the 34" fender jazz STD singed by Reggie Hamilton.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree, it's unfair to say "suffer"... but it's also unfair to say "benefit". Whether extended scale length is an advantage or disadvantage is a complete judgment call, especially in terms of tone. Some prefer 34", some prefer 36" or more. Who's right? Everyone!