Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 350/400w enough for an 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by solongstinktown, Mar 7, 2004.

1. solongstinktown

solongstinktown

Mar 7, 2004
    yeah.. simple question.. but i'm a n00b.

i might buy a used svt 8x10 ($500!) and i was thinking of either buying a new b2-r or a 700rb2 head (unless something good and used comes along). someone told me that you can estimate about a 3:1 ratio for bass/guitar.. and i doubt i'll ever be playing with anyone with more then a half stack.. but is 350/400w really enough to power an 8x10???'

thanks.

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    It always depends on your situation. 350/400W into an 8x10 is pretty damned loud. I'd say if it's not loud enough, your band is too loud. But then again, I think most bands are too loud...

George Porter uses the old 350W GK head into an 8x10 and it does okay for him :D

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hear the GK 800RB's into SVT810E's are amazing.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    HI solongstniktown, about that 3:1 thing, that has to be interpreted as "all other things being equal". In other words, if you're using a solid state bass amp and your guitar player is using a tube amp, it'll probably be more like 10:1. Probably in "most" normal situations (club gigs, small indoor auditoriums, etc), a 400 solid state watt amp will be plenty. If you're playing an outdoor rock gig, think at least a thousand (solid state) watts.

If you're using a tube amp, you probably don't need as much power (and I've never heard of a thousand watt tube amp anyway). Like the old SVT's are only 300 watts or so, and they're plenty loud, even for outdoor gigs. Tube amps usually sound a little louder than solid state amps with the equivalent power, 'cause solid state amps don't like to be overdriven, and the excess power goes into "clean headroom" (so your "peak" power is high, but your "average" power is much lower). In tube amps, the excess power goes into that fat tube overdrive that we all know and love, meaning your "average" power is higher, and you don't get as many transients and peak excursions.

Different strokes for different folks. Lately I've been using a Walter Woods Ultra, it's about 1200 watts and it only weighs 7 pounds. Can't beat that!

5. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    If you can get a WW ultra, the sure, 1000W+ is good to have :)

For the rest of us, I think it's just added weight. Any outdoor gig worth its salt is gonna have monster PA support (otherwise, how are you gonna hear the kick drum, etc?.

It really comes down to how much control you want to have over your sound, versus how much gear you want to carry. If you're willing to cede total control to the soundman, and there's a decent PA/monitor system, buy yourself a Sansamp and be done with it. That's where I'm headed...

6. I've never looked closely at the specs of an SVT 8x10, but with 8 speakers it should be super efficient. You can proabably get by with 300-400 watts unless, like everyone says, you are playing large venues or outdoors.

but I've never played a gig anything like what would need an 8x10.

7. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    for years i played a svt3 pro with an 8x10. it was loud, clear, and had great tone. it did feel as if the there was more cab than head though. a 4x10 probably would have been a better cab. transporting the 8x10 was a bitch.