is $350 a good price for swr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 27, 2005.

1. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have a chance to buy a swr workingmans 160 with a goliath II 4 10 cab for $350. is this a good price? i have not seen any of these used so i don't know. i have played through it a love the way it sounds. it is in pretty good shape. the only thing is when i plug into the passive input it seems the conection is loose. i thought it might be my cable, but then i tried a new cable and it still does it. it will work fine, then all of a sudden it will cut out, then i wiggle the cord at the input and it crackels a bit and then works again. is this something i can fix myself or have fixed cheap? :help:
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I think so. The head alone is worth less than a couple hundred bucks but the cab is worth at least a couple hundred. Just my opinion. The only downside is that head may not be able to drive that cab very well, especially if it's an 8 ohm cab (vs 4 ohm)...
  3. The SWR is a 160 watt head (which you probably knew), and probably about 120 watts at 8 ohms. Many people have said how loud it sounds for it's rating, and it is prtty small and lightweight.I had one for about 2 years, and though I didn't ever really make it go really loud ( speaker at the time was a home-made 1x8) I liked it pretty well. It has all the usual SWR stuff, so I think you'll be happy. The Goliath II is what it is, they normally go for almost that by themselves. The deal is a good one. And if you end up needing more power, youcan always get a power amp for pretty cheap and use the SWR for a preamp.

Hope you like it!
  4. clearskies2

clearskies2 Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I'd have to agree that that's a good deal. I've been looking for used SWR equipment lately, especially the Goliath II and Goliath III and a used Goliath II sells for about 350.00 on ebay, so I think you're getting a pretty good bargain. Enjoy!
  5. I've been using that head for about 9 years. Don't expect to be able to keep up outdoors, but it handled most of my situations just fine. It's as solid an amp as you can get (dropped mine on concrete)...but I've heard complaints about the jacks on all SWR stuff from that era. I've been watching them sell on ebay for around 175-200. You're getting a good deal.

6. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    To actually answer your question, it sounds like a bad input jack, which will be a problem if you are running a passive rig. Technically, this is a simple repair - if you can find the right part (Fender is reputedly pretty bad about stocking SWR parts and it might not be a common Mouser-catalog item) and if you can get to it without stripping the entire board out of the head, with all the incidental damage that frequently causes, which you probably can't. Depending on the bench charges at your repair place, this simple fix may come close to costing the value of the amp. This is why everyone hates PCB jacks so much. :crying:

The only other problem, as has been mentioned, is that the impedance might not be appropriate for the head.