1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $3500 a fair price for a '74 J ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by engedi1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I was playing a '74 oly white J bass at Corner Music here in Nashvegas, and I was blown away! It sounded awesome, the neck felt awesome, and it blew away the 08 and 09 fenders that were in the store. However, for $3500, I could get a lakland JO, or an Alleva. What I really want, is a great passive J, and frankly, the vintage thing appeals to me alot, as well as nashville producers!
    I will say this, for a 35 year old J, it is in almost mint condition. Nary a mark on the front of the bass, just a few belt scuffs on the back. Comes with original ashtray and pickup cover. Nitro finish has mellowed to a pleasing butterscotch, and it has a 4 bolt neck, straight as an arrow. The neck and frets are awesome! I could buy this today, and take on tour without even a set up.

For you guys with experience in vintage basses, is this a fair price? I have seen 70's J's for much, much cheaper, but never in this good of shape.

2. I'd go with 3000 max, but if you really really like it as much as an Alleva could please you, you're the one to decide its value.

3. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Regrettably I have never played an Alleva! I love 70's J's and P's and am willing to pay the price for that tone/vibe as part of my arsenal. I have read that Alleva has some wood in store since the 70's, and might get a similar tone, and I know they are better made, and I would have my choice of custom colors and options. I am still awaiting a tax return, and then maybe I can make an offer of $3000 and see if they'll take it.

4. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    ... and worry the whole time about it getting stolen or damaged. I would never tour with a vintage instrument. Take an MIM and be worry-free.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am skeptical. First of all, that finish would be poly, not nitro. Secondly, it should be a three bolt--though perhaps some 4 bolt Jazzes were built in '74.

Pics please.

6. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Price seems about $500 to $1000 high. Poly finish 4 bolt neck to mid 75,oly white brings the price up a bit(you see more naturals and black). I'm putting a clean 74 natural that my boss bought back in 76 on ebay for .99 tomorrow night. I'm guessing $2000 to $2400 as this bass has been in it's case for the last 25 years.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Jim, tons of 4-bolt Jazzes still built in 74, so no problem there.

3500 seems 7-800 too high, but if it is as minty as described then it would be up to you if it's worth it. You already know it plays perfect for you. I'd still grind the store down to a more realistic level.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

All original and in great shape with a case, it is worth in the $3k range.

Mint and white body with a blocked neck, it might go for $3500, but I wouldn't pay more than $2500-3000 for ANY 70's Jazz.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

+1

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Sounds like you already know that you want the J but are afraid the price is a little high. Offer $2900 or what you feel it's worth. The worst they can do is say, "No".

11. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Bargain a bit! Then if its as cool as you think, and it doesn't work out, you can get out of it with your hide.

12. Hurry up and buy it - then post pictures so we can all see it. You only go this way once and ya can't take it with you. :D

13. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Price should be negotiable. Remember the price on something is whatever the market will bear. In the case of the '74 J...I say the price is fair if absolutely mint. Most J's out there are "player's" basses, so you expect nicks, chips, dents, scratches, repairs. Before paying top dollar, have the inside inspected to ensure you have all original pots, wiring, neck, and body. I never pay retail for anything and prefer a reasonable negotiation.

OTOH don't lowball either. $3000.00 sounds reasonable, but only you are the judge of that.

R...

14. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Don't know if the store would like me sitting there taking picks, especially of the date stamp on the neck heel!:p However, Corner Music in Nashville sells many vintage Fender, they currently have a LPB 66 P for $11500 and a 67 J and several other 60's basses, along with my 74 J, all from one collector. Many, Many nashville cats buy their basses from Corner and the bass guy was showing me stuff out of his vintage Fender guy so I feel that it is the real deal-except for the nitro finish, I thought that was odd for a 70's bass.
    I wouldn't call it mint, just as close to mint as I have ever personally seen a 70's bass. Believe it or not, the guitar center in nashville has 5-6 60's and 70's P and J's. I will certainly price those out, and play them as well before pulling any triggers!
    Great advice y'all, keep it coming!

15. id buy it even at that price

altho id atleast try to get em down to 3300

16. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Man, when I started playing I remember walking into my local GC and seeing a bunch of 70's jazzes in one area. Like 12 or more. All were around $800. Dang!

17. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I've seen plenty of open auctions with Jazz basses of that vintage lately going for between $2000 and $2500 in really nice shape. The price they are asking is way too high.

3 bolt necks started in mid 1975.

18. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I remember when I could buy them used for $350.

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Sure enough. You know it's just that I never got over the arrival of the three bolt/bullet neck on the Tele II bass, LOL!

+1
    I have observed that most retailers still use the "greater fool" method of pricing vintage gear, but also know that the number of employed fools has shrunk. :D

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Too high.