1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $3500 a fair price for a '74 J ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by engedi1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    You could get a custom shop jazz for less.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Agreed.

What are people thinking?

3. MF_Maher

MF_Maher Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Central VA
    Why, oh, why did I ever sell my first bass--a natural/maple Jazz with pearloid block inlays that my parents bought me in March 1974? Damn...

4. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    IMHO 2500/2800

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    $3500 is too rich for my blood.

I'd probably not go over $2700 if it was SUPER sweet. Even then I'd be hard pressed to seperate myself from that much money for something that I routinely remember seeing selling for $300ish back in the day.

6. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Well, I wasn't born until 77 so to me, it is pure vintage. I have never known them to be any price under $1500

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, if it has an alder body, is lightweight and is in excellent shape, its worth it. if its the heavy ash body, its not.

i paid $3500 for my '72 a few years ago but IMO, its easily worth it since its in great shape, its lightweight, has an arrow straight neck that doesn't have the common dip at the 12-14th fret, with no mashing out of the pickguard at the truss adjuster (common), the thumbrest is on the treble side, and is 100% original with its original case and chrome covers.

i've never played a custom shop fender that even comes close to it. (and i've owned and played alot of them)

72Jazzbass-2-w.

8. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    That's about right for one with minor wear. I'd hold off.

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    way too high

10. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Thanks! I am in awe of your profile! A man with your collection is one to take seriously in regards to vintage gear. beautiful J bass!

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    terrible price. i got a 69 for less than $3000 and that was in a good economy. in the current craphole economy you should get it for $2500 or less.

you're getting ripped.

12. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    For $3500 you could have a wide range of choices, including such gems as the Vintage J style Modulus instruments. Sounds too high for a '70s Fender, but if it really floats your boat, it may be worth that price for you.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    "Player's" basses command a certain type of interest and price point, finding a great "player" that is in "collector" type shape is pretty rare these days which is probably why the shop is asking a premium price for it. Chances are you can't stop thinking about it, am I right? If that's the case and it's been a week or two and you still haven't cooled-off I recommend you buy it. IMO it's easier to live with regret and knowing the reason(s) why than wondering what if.

14. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    If you love it, I'd say go get it man..as the value of vintage fenders rise up every year.
    especially you mentioned that the bass in excellent condition..

15. Doc Halo

Doc Halo Musician, heal thyself.

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I was over at Corner on Thursday, and got a chance to spend some time with all of those basses. That '74 J is in pretty remarkable condition--in fact, all of the vintage basses on that wall are in pretty remarkable condition. I've been eyeing the '65 Precision myself. :cool:

IME the bass guy at Corner, JD, is one of the most honest, fair, and knowledgeable guys in the retail music business. (On several occasions, he's actually talked me out of buying something that I thought I wanted.) Bearing in mind that a vintage instrument is only worth what someone will pay for it, I would definitely recommend that you talk to him--if there's room for negotiation, he'll certainly work with you.

Why yes. Yes he could. :D

16. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    Have you seen the economy lately? The value of my '62 Jazz has gone down at least 1/3 in the past 2 years.

17. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    The market fluctuates on vintage prices. They may have invested that much before the market tanked. It never hurts to make an offer, as times are tough and they have their bills to meet. If it's truley all original, it would be a great investment if you got it at current market prices. If you really like it, it might be your favorite bass the rest of your life. Whether or not you like it, or don't like it, the market will grow, and you'd make your money back on a resale more so over buying any new boutique bass. Personally though,I wouldn't pay that much for a vintage bass, but that's just me. Doesn't mean it's not worth that to you. You could easily lose that money in car repairs or some other expense.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Really? You're only 9 years younger than I am, and I don't recall seeing a mid 70's Fender bass fetching $1500 untill about 10 or 12 years ago. In the late 90's you could still get pre CBS basses for under $2K Sometimes well under.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would say to go back, see if it still feels the same to you and you love it. If so, try to talk the dealer down a bit.

However, keep in mind that if it's a truly great bass (and the right one for you)...even if you have to pay a bit more than you like...well, you'll forget about a few extra hundred dollars in 6 months (or less), but you'll ALWAYS remember "the one that got away".

20. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006