1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $3500 a fair price for a '74 J ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by engedi1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Love all the advice guys! Thanks so much! I currently play a Sadowsky, which is really well made, really great modern tone, but there is something about he 70's Fenders that I really dig, both P's and J's. This is the first 70's j I have come across and even though I really loved it, I will be sure to try to find a few more to play before pulling the trigger. This particular J is the perfect storm of great tone, great shape, great neck with excellent frets and bound fingerboard. I WILL be buying a new bass with my tax return, it is just a question of another high tech modern like a sadowsky, or the vintage Fender. Since I have always loved fenders and don't currently have one, that is how I am leaning. I'll be sure to let yall know.

2. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    Hey engedi1 I hope you work a deal and get the old Fender. I have a few L series plus other vintage Fender basses...
    That being said, when I play live I have been using a 1975 Fender Jazz, really beat up but stock and plays great. It is Swamp Ash and weighs 8lbs, 9 ounces with a Maple neck. Factory Natural. I love it. I also use a 4 bolt '74 factory Natural Jazz also with maple black block neck. It weighs 8.11 lbs. They just funk and cut through the mix. Thump and groove.
    I actually used my 66 Precision Sunburst last weeks gig and was bummed. It just did not have the articulation for the music we were doing.
    I think you'll love the OW 74! Cheers.

3. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    It's not the heat it's the humidity.:D

4. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    While I would never part with my '69 Jazz (which I got in the early 90s for $100!) if I was gonna spend over $3 grand today I'd buy another Roscoe. But if it's the vintage vibe you're looking for, you might compare that '74 with a Mike Lull. Mike's basses are really well built and sound great.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    WRONG! They started in 73. by 75 all jazzes had them!

6. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Three bolt necks started in 1971 along with bullet trussrods and micro tilt neck. But only on Strats. and Tele Deluxes. No three bolt necks on the Jazz bass until mid 1975.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here ya go, hope you will learn something.http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#jbass

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, that price is too high. I have played some *really* nice early '70s J basses, but for that kinda money, you can get a Sadowsky...

9. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

My old fully documented 1975 Jazz Bass ...

1975Jazzpage3.

myneck.

As for buying that 74 ... $3.500.00 would not buy my 73 ... although I only paid $800.00 for it two years ago!

Best Jazz Bass I personally have every played, year means nothing when you get the right bass ...

1973LakePlacidBlueFenderJazzBass.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Bingo, you could buy a custom shop jazz for less and have more of a bass!

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it might cost less, but, i don't think it would be more of a bass at all, and it'll take it at least 20 years for it to appreciate.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The bass above may be a 75 bass but it's made with leftover parts from 74. Remember when Fender was selling basses in the late 70's with neck numbers starting with 78 well into the 80's, that did not make those 80's basses 78's they just had lots of extra parts they needed to use up and it is true there were some 4 bolt 75 basses but not many!

14. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Now read the next line about BWB pick guards replacing tort guards. I have 2 74 Jazz basses sitting in front of me right now with white guards. 4 bolt necks too! There is a lot of info on that site but not all of it is correct.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My post was not to dispute 4 bolt necks on 75 jazz basses but to bring to light the 3 bolt neck went into production in 1973 not 1975!

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Are your basses sunburst? was that pick guard the only color offered that year? The site says bwb replaced tort maybe the white went unchanged, is that possible?

17. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Do you know this through personal experience or because it says so on provide.net? I'm no expert(only held a couple dozen pre 75 jazz basses in my hand) but I've never seen nor heard of a 3 bolt Jazz before 75 although when it comes to fender never say never.

18. was3funk

was3funk Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    Hey, that's my bass for sale!

I think $3K - $3.5K is worth it for a bass that's all original, mint and fits like a glove. However in the $2K range you could definitely save some money and get a 70's that may as good of a player but not be in as pristine shape.

19. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Got me on that one! Black on burst was correct in 74 with thumbrest above or below the strings. My white guard Jazzes are both natural which I think was considered a custom color at the time.

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You are right about when it comes to Fender never say never, I own a CAR 75RI jazz with a serial # XXX31X and I've seen blue 70's RI jazzes with serial#'s XXX33X. it all depends on what they have available in front of them when they start putting stuff together. I've owned a bunch of Fenders and I can tell you it is possible to buy a new bass with parts that are 1 and 2 years old! I ordered a bass from them that came out in a brand new color that had not hit the streets yet (had no sale sku) and they put a neck on a body of the color I wanted, When I got the bass the neck year was a year behind the year I was in! Meaning I bought the bass that they put together but with a neck they had in stock! Lots of times people buy stuff in a year and think because it's new it was made in that year they bought it, this is the furthest from the truth! You must do your homework or call Fender and they will tell you when it was made to the month! They will tell you where it was shipped to also. All we have to really go by is what they tell us. And btw how did you know if any 3 bolt jazz was fro 73 or 74 if you just had it in your hands? Just asking?