1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $3500 a fair price for a '74 J ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by engedi1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm, thats interesting. I have a CS 64 ltd J-bass that I love. One night at a club I played an all original 57 P-bass that a friend brought in for me to check out, and then I played my bass. All of the musicians agreed my bass sounded better. You can't say Vintage is any better that Custom Shop or that Custom Shop is any better than Vintage. Each bass must be evaluated on its own merits, and every good old instrument started as a good new instrument at one point in time.

2. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Well, the price difference is pretty extreme! I would need over $10k to find a 60's bass in this condition.

3. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I think that one thing that seems to be universally agreed on is that Fender's are inconsistent and you have to play a bunch to find "your" Fender. I may have found mine, now I just have to find the cash! Also, in your example above, you are comparing a J to P-not fair!

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That's what sellers are asking these days, but they're not getting that, not even close...I bet you could find a refin late 60's jazz for around $3-4k...just sayin'...

Anyways, like i said, if the 74 speaks to you, then you should snatch it up!

5. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Actually, there is an amazing refin '60 P at the low end shop. Click here:

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/used-basses.html

Brian is asking $4500, but do I want a refin? I know that tone is what truly matters, but collectability has to be considered! I would rather find an all original if I could, then I could pay for one of my kids college eduction in 20 years!

6. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    I can certainly believe your CS Fender Jazz is just right for you. I had 3. 2 were '64 NOS. OW, RW board. First one had a nice profile neck, but weighed a ton and was a dud thud. so i found another OW RW board. It was build nice and was right weight 9 lbs even, but had no tone at all. Very thin. I then found a 62 RI LPB CS. It was better but the fret edges were so sharp it pained me to play it. Granted, I prefer the bound necks ( as a 74 would have OP ). I think we all agree we must try several of the same models to find the one that suits the individual taste and feel of the buyer. And it is unfair to put a P bass against any Jazz. Two different vibes and above all, tones.
    :bassist:

7. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    Your 74 J you are interested in will sound very different from an Alder 60's model. I find the maple necks brighter and funkier. As long as it ( 74 OW ) does not weigh a ton I bet its cool. I checked corner music site, but he is not showing a 74 J???:D

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I know a refin will affect the value in the long run, but are you trying to buy a bass you can play, or something that's going to sit in a case all the time until you decide to sell it in 20 years? :scowl:

And IMO, a refinned 1960 P for a 1000 more would be a WAY better buy than an original 70's Jazz...but I'm more of a P guy anyways I guess...and more into 60's stuff than 70's, so for me - that's a no-brainer...depends on what you like.

Good luck with your search. Just make sure you try before you buy.

9. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    That was my point. No two instruments will be exactly the same so you need to evaluate each one on its own merits. I have a CS 59 P-bass on order and I could almost bet you it will be just as good of an instrument as my buddy's 57. Fender electric guitars and basses are not complicated instruments to produce. Some people think there is a difference in old wood, but I personally don't subscribe to that theory. I think the density and weight of the wood has more of an effect than age. In 38 years of being a musician I have played old Fenders that were crap, and new basses that were fantastic, and visa versa. 90% of the "mojo" is in your hands, and as long as the instrument feels good to you thats all that matters IMHO. I happen to prefer CS instrument because I like the look of a new bass over an old bass, and I like the warranty that goes along with the new bass. Now if i found an original 59 P-bass that didn't cost me a fortune i would consider it, but basses are tools for me to make music with, and i can get the job done without spending 20K on an instrument originally designed to be a working mans bass. The bottom line is if you found an instrument that inspires you, and you can afford it then get it. :bassist:

10. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Yes I understand that p-basses and J-basses are different, but I was comparing build quality, and overall tone as one would expect to hear from each model. Both sounded great, and I'd be happy with either instrument. Personally I think everyone needs both models. Maybe I got lucky, but my J-bass is an alder body with a rosewood fingerboard, and it has plenty of clarity, warmth, and of course the J-bass growl. I think its around 9 pounds, but I have yet to weight it, but the build quality is superb, and it feels great which is why I sold a few guitars to get the 59 on order. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

11. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    That's nuts! Its a refin, missing the original pickups, the tuners are mid seventies, who knows what else is 'missing'. I'd take the 74 OW original J anytime over this one offered by LowEnd.

12. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    Sounds good. BTW, I forgot that 4 years back, i bought a 2003 CS 59 P bass off eBay. It was vintage white relic, of course with gold metal guard and RW neck. IT was a very good bass I must say. It had a nice wide flat neck, and fret edges were smooth. But we were talking Jazz. I have equal amount of J's and P's. your right, nice to have one of both!

13. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    That would be my dream, to have an amazing vintage P and an amazing vintage J-for playing purposes! I am a player, and hope to play lots more, but one still needs to considering collect ability when buying vintage. I used to have a 100 yr old upright bass which I very regrettably had to sell last year. I sold it for virtually the same thing I paid for it because the value of a 100 year old bass is pretty much set, it will probably never change that much. I would hate to spend $4500 on a refin that will probably never appreciate. All original for me if I can swing it!

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

You're referring to the Dakota Red one, and I "think" he might have been referring to the Sonic Blue one.

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/used-basses.html

Refin body only, new bridge, new guard....but everything else looks original, including the pup.

:)

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

That's not actually a bad deal...

16. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Yep, the sonic blue. I love sonic blue, and may have to head on down to the Low End shop to check it out. Although my dream P bass has a maple board as well as my dream J. I am just a maple kind of guy.

17. as my neighbors grandma used to say when i lived in queens and came back from the store ..... "did you hooondle them".... see if you can get a bargain

18. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    O. Yes I was looking at the red one.. But still, I'll take an original finished 100% bass over any refin, any year, missing parts, etc. That's just me.:)

19. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    $4500? no way. Sorry....:meh:

20. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    wayyyy too expensive in my opinion