1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $3500 a fair price for a '74 J ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by engedi1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I remember when noone wanted them as the 70's fenders were not considered... lets say the best guitars fender ever made.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    all original 60's fender jazz basses for not much more than $2300? please show me where. i'll buy as many as i can at that price.

3. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    Gee JK we think alike. I see 100% Fender 66 Jazz usually sell for the $5500-$7500 depending on color, condition, case, chrome, etc. I'd buy them all day:hyper: for $2500!!

4. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    I've got a JV P-Bass and it's great, but not £1500 great. You can almost buy the real thing for that! :D

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Hell, I'd just about mortgage myself into oblivion if I could buy a bunch of 60's Jazzes for $2300-$2500.

Of course buying them at that rate, and then re-selling them for their typical "actual selling prices" would allowing me to pay off the mortgage QUICK !

:D

6. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
  7. codsack

codsack

Mar 9, 2008
    wilmington nc
    I passed on a 74 Oly White all original Jazz with white markers last month for 2300.It sold on Ebay for $2350 so 3500 is too high IMO

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    at 9.2 lbs, i think its definitely worth it. i've played some '74's that were 11-12lbs, so that blondie is actually a light one.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

This. And chances are you could spend the same money in the custom market and not get the same overall vibe. Happens way more than people seem to understand.

Hey, maybe the values of these Fenders will plummet. I'll take that bet.
    :smug:

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you don't get the best deal on a new bass and end-up paying 10%-20% more for that new bass it's worth kicking yourself. Paying a premium price for a vintage Fender is less of a tragedy as long as the bass is legit. A 60's or 70's Fender excelling in the three major categories (playability, condition & originality) is rare and deserves to be on the top end of the market. Also, I concur with johnk_10 regarding weight and mid 70's Fenders effecting value, I have an ash bodied 75 Precision(disco machine)that tips the scales at 13.5lbs.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Exactly.

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I bought a lightweight alder '73 S/B Jazz about 5 years ago from Matt Umanov in NYC, who are generally on the expensive side of the scale. It had a pro refret, and I paid $2,800 at the time. I knew I was paying at least a few hundred over market dealer value, but I also knew the few hundred bucks would be forgotten in the long run.

Like this '74, I just knew the bass was for me as it fit my hands like a glove, sounded amazing (hard to describe, but every note has a certain weight and depth that not every J has), and was what I consider perfect vintage condition; played to heck but never abused. Another thing that sold me was that it was strung with jamerson flats, and the neck was also arrow straight and rang like a bell when tapped.

I never regretted spending a bit over the odds, but I have regretted not buying one other bass that really spoke to me like this one did (an all-original black dots/biding/ovals '66J with a matching headstock, just the sweetest sounding and playing J I ever picked up).

Buy it,
    Play it,
    Take some pictures,
    Please display it.

13. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    I recently bought a '78 P bass for $1500. A friend of mine got lucky and found a 1980 for $900 on Ebay and said that I totally overpaid for mine, which left me a bit embarrassed and unsure if I'd been swindled... Like the '74 your looking at, mine also has very minor wear and is all original. But, it is a '78, not a '74 and is VERY heavy. Thing is, the more I play it the more I am glad I made the investment, because that is really the point that I think some of these folks are missing. These vintage Fenders, even from the '70's, seem to be a pretty safe investment as they have really spiked in value in the last 10 years. I could've paid almost the same for a brand new one, but frankly I think they just don't play the same at all. They feel cheap and fake in comparison, (albeit lighter). I wouldn't pay $3500 for the bass your after, but perhaps keep looking or make an offer of $2500, ya never know. But if you take the plunge, at least you know your making a relatively safe investment, just don't set it on fire or anything ;)