1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is 4,6 kilos (=10 lbs) a normal weight ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublestop, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Guys, I bought my 1st bass a month ago and I'm very happy with it: a Tribute G&L L-2000. I have been playing guitar for over 25 years but finally bought my first bass!

Anyway, this thing is kind of heavy: 4,6 kg (=10 lbs). Do I just have to get used to it? Or is this a really heavy bass? How do you guys / girls handle the weight? Broader straps ?

Thanks for all advice,

Peter

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bleh, 10 pounds isn't that heavy. My old 70's P-bass weighed 15+...

3. Seems normal to me. My P-bass ripoff weighs about 15lbs or so, but it's a balanced weight. :)

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My Vette Standard is about that. The lighest bass I have heard of was about 5-6lbs. I think average is about 8-10.

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hmm... for me, the lighter basses range around 7-8lbs and it starts getting heavy from 10lb onwards

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Average seems to be 8=10.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfft... my 28 String Conklin weighs 98 pounds.. I just take it like a man.

8. LOL :D

Thank you all...I'll get used to the 10 pounds, I guess. I'll take it like a man, like you said ^^

9. if you bought a premium tribute model it has a Swamp Ash body instead of a Basswood body, so they tend to be a little heavier. my USA L2000 has a swamp ash body and weighs about 10 pounds.

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My fury's are all around 9 pounds. I have a Comfort Strapp which helps a lot. The most important thing to look at is balance. My basses have offset strap pins on the back which help more than you could even imagine. It's a quick mod and has helped me get through some really long shows without feeling it.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

10 LBS I think is around the average.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    10 lbs is about right... my P-bass weighed 11, and with a 2" nylon strap it killed. Get yourself a nice, wide, padded strap and weight really doesn't matter. :smug: