Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 4,6 kilos (=10 lbs) a normal weight ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublestop, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Guys, I bought my 1st bass a month ago and I'm very happy with it: a Tribute G&L L-2000. I have been playing guitar for over 25 years but finally bought my first bass!

Anyway, this thing is kind of heavy: 4,6 kg (=10 lbs). Do I just have to get used to it? Or is this a really heavy bass? How do you guys / girls handle the weight? Broader straps ?

Thanks for all advice,

Peter

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bleh, 10 pounds isn't that heavy. My old 70's P-bass weighed 15+...

3. Seems normal to me. My P-bass ripoff weighs about 15lbs or so, but it's a balanced weight. :)

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My Vette Standard is about that. The lighest bass I have heard of was about 5-6lbs. I think average is about 8-10.

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hmm... for me, the lighter basses range around 7-8lbs and it starts getting heavy from 10lb onwards

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Average seems to be 8=10.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfft... my 28 String Conklin weighs 98 pounds.. I just take it like a man.

8. LOL :D

Thank you all...I'll get used to the 10 pounds, I guess. I'll take it like a man, like you said ^^

9. if you bought a premium tribute model it has a Swamp Ash body instead of a Basswood body, so they tend to be a little heavier. my USA L2000 has a swamp ash body and weighs about 10 pounds.

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My fury's are all around 9 pounds. I have a Comfort Strapp which helps a lot. The most important thing to look at is balance. My basses have offset strap pins on the back which help more than you could even imagine. It's a quick mod and has helped me get through some really long shows without feeling it.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

10 LBS I think is around the average.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    10 lbs is about right... my P-bass weighed 11, and with a 2" nylon strap it killed. Get yourself a nice, wide, padded strap and weight really doesn't matter. :smug: