Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 400W enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8_finger, Nov 24, 2003.

1. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I drive my EBS210 cab(400W, 4Ohm) with Yamaha P3200 power amp(2 x 440W@4Ohm). I use only 1 channel of the amp with volume at 1 o'clock and my preamp output is at 9 o'clock . So I'm estimating that I'm use no more than 200W for rehearsals and a little more for gigs. Because I use prectically less than a half of the amp I decided to sell it and down size the rig. I did my research and narrowed the selection to two amps:
    LAB gruppen iP450 - 2x200W@2Ohm, 400W@4Ohm bridged, 1HE height, 17lbs (7,5kg) weight
    and
    LAB gruppen iP900 - 2x450W@2Ohm, 900W@4Ohm bridged, 2HE height, 27,5lbs (12,5kg) weight

iP450 I can get for cca 550€ and iP900 i can get for cca 650€,new.
    The problem is I know more power is wiser but I wouldn't be in position to use 900W, 400W more probable.
    I play mostly jazz, without loud guitars and with medium loud drummer. I believe 400W should be enough but I'm not 100% shure, so I'm asking your help in deciding.
    So I'm asking is 400W enough, how many of TB-ers believe that 400W is enough for most of band situations and why, and if you think 400W is not enough why do you think that and in what situations?
    Exeptions:
    -all tube amps - no need to explain ;)
    - people that play in a band with total of two marshall halfstacks or more ;)

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    most people will tell you that more head room soudns better.

this is because you are running the amp at less than its max... so theres less distortion and less strian. because the amp isnt working as hard it soudns better.

i dont understand the technical reason for this... im sure someone can enlighten us

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    As I can see your only problem is weight. I suggest you new series of yamaha poweramp P5000s, it's low cost and weight 12kg. You never know when you'll need more watts. Also you always have one channel free for adding another cab or for emergency.

Maybe you will end in a punk band like me at my old days.

4. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The weight is one of the issues. The iP900 has enough power and is probably cheaper than the Yamaha P5000. What is eating me is that I already have enough power and I'm tired of lugging around P3200 - I use cca 1/4 of the amps power and have to carry 100% of amps weight. :mad:
    I'm wondering if this will be the case with iP900 if I buy it, with iP450 I am shure I'll be in situation to use more than half of it's power and it has half the weight of P3200, 1/3 weight if I count total weight of the flightcase.

5. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
  6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It's enough for me! Ampeg SVT400T, Ampeg 1540he, and ear plugs. ;)

[​IMG]

Anyways, back to the subject... I wouldn't use less wattage if you can help it because having more power enables you to play as cleanly as you would like.

If you want to downsize, just get smaller speaker cabinets.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think that 900 might be a little much. 400 would do, but if you want a little more headroom, i'd suggest something like 500-600ish watts. It's all good as long as you don't blow your speakers :oops: :p