Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is $45 too much to have a nut replaced?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Down the line I posted about a broken nut on my Fender bass and like I can't find too much on-line about getting the correct one to replace, and then knowing how to do it, etc. So I called my local music store and they want $45 to do it. For a cheap little part, I was wondering how that kind of pricing was?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    $40 is what a local place quoted me. Nuts come un-slotted, so they have to file the nuts and then put it on. Its a fair price Id say.

3. That seems about right. Maybe a touch high, but not too bad.

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If I remember correctly, which I probably don't.

A local store did mine on my old MIM fender for $20-$25. I did buy the bass there though, which could explain it.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Seems like too much.

Last week I took my Wishnevsky into a local luthier. This guy makes violas for a living. I asked him to replace the nut and recut it and the bridge to move from 7 strings to 6. He hand cut a piece of ebony for the nut, measured and put notches in the bridge and dressed a bump out of the fingerboard. Total fee, $25.00. Now in fairness I have done several thousands of dollars of business with this man in 'cellos and basses for my kids. So he may have been giving me a break of some sorts.

Anyway, my Wish plays great and looks really cool with the ebony nut.

You might want to look around. It sounds to me like your music store just doesn't want to be bothered.

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The price isn't an outrageous rip-off, maybe a touch on the higher side. It's likely some kind of minimum charge for their services plus the cost of the nut ....

Since you're in VT, it's not as if you have a 100 different places you can go to.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I think they sell preslotted nuts for Fenders, don't they?

8. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    If you are close Boston, I would tell you to go see Wolf. He used to be my guy when I lived there. Does a great job, super nice guy, and he's a great bass player! In fact, Bass Player did a article on him a few years back for his service and repair business. He used to be located about a block down from the Berklee Performace center on Mass Ave. Don't know if that is still his location.

Nut jobs run between $40 and $50, depending on the shop, material of the nut, etc. It's not a huge deal, but you should have the nut slotted and fitted by a pro.

9. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Buy a pre-slotted nut ($5-7), tap out the old one w/ a screwdriver and mallet, glue in the new one....takes a few minutes...

good luck

10. Most repair guys I know of charge like auto mechanic: X hours of time = $X.

11. Seems like a great deal to me! I got $50 on me right now! Finally. Since I lost ol' lefty in the BMX accident It just hasn't been the same. That screwdriver and mallet comment though, that was gruesome. I'd rather pay a pro! Though I'm not sure I'd want somebody named Wolf messing around with my private parts.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    My guess anybody truly qualified would want at least that to replace a nut. I would be afraid to trust anybody that would do 45 minutes work for less.

14. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hah! They are still using that old heavy-metal-chick-smashing-the-Flying V graphic!

Boy, does that bring back memories of my Boston days...big hair...spandex...eyeliner...pink, pointy guitars...and the chicks were hot, too!

Ahhh...good times, good times...

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If there's a decent setup involved after the replacement, I'd say it's a good price. Just a "pop out-pop in" however? On the high side, but as Ed pointed out geographic location has something to do with it.

16. RE: The screwdriver and hammer - IIRC it is usually a good idea to score the glue/finish around the edge of the nut with a utility knife before you pop it off - this reduces the chance that a chunk of the finish or the wood will pop off along with the nut.

Yes us Women around Boston are hot ;)
    I have some younger relatives in a all womens metal band, that make the boys & girls go glassy eyed and slack jawed - hahahahahah

Peace,
    S

17. wow, yeah okay sounds decent. It is only a $7 part but these guys will do it right and probably check the set up, although I could do that. At least they won't damage the instrument.

Yeah, VT, limited for sure. More cows than people here!

18. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    $45 sounds like a fair price if the shop is putting a nut on that they are slotting and shaping to fit your bass. Figure $3-$5 for materials (nut blank, glue, etc..) and an hour of labor. It's not only how good it looks but also that it feels right, not to hard to depress the strings, and not buzzing when the strings are played open hard. This is bread and butter work for a qualified repair guy, go to a good repair shop and you should be happy with the results.

19. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    If you're at all mechanically inclined, replacing the nut would be a breeze. I agree with Bruno here in that it would save some cash and not be too hard.

And it doesn't sound gruesome.