is $450 a good deal on an L2000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 22, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I went into Guitar Center yesterday and saw a G&L L2000 for $450, used. I waited patiently for about 15 minutes to get acknowledged, and then asked for the attendant to pull it down and let me try it out. I plugged it into a GK 1001-RB and wound up playing it for 30 minutes. It nailed everything, a Jazz, a P-, and Stingray. I dropped $100 payment on it and put it in layaway. It plays great, is in good cosmetic condition, and there doesn't seem to be any problems with it. Does this seem like a good deal or what? Should I go for it?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sounds at the low end of about right... enjoy! And remember, pics are required!
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    yes, yes and yes....

I think the L2000 is one of the great all around basses that are still affordable these days.

I remember the days when Stingrays(pre ernie) could still be had in that price range.. I know someone will say the same about 60's jazz's

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea, good deal.
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Crud. I'm stupid. I forgot to mention. She's an older model. I think its an '81. Serial Number is B005308. Older headstock and control plate version. Natural Body, Rosewood board. Slight buckle rash, one ding near the top horn. Thats about it. Still good deal?

6. that is still a decent price for an older one. as long as it is in good working condition. I have an L2000 (bought new in 1998) and it is still one of my favorite basses)
  7. seriously if you don't jump the gun on that deal, I will personally do it myself!

that isn't a deal, that is a ficking steal!
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's a great deal. Don't hesitate, snatch it up.

IMO, the older ones sound alot better then the newer ones. I have an '83 that smokes all the newer ones I've compared it to.
  9. I don't think I've ever seen an L2000 under $500. There was probably a time where they did go for that, but I haven't been playing bass long and no matter how much I search they're almost always 600 and up no matter what the year.

Definitely snatch it up.
  10. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I got it locked in layaway and I'm hoping to get it anyday now. I just gotta find a way to come up with the funds. I need like $300 to pay it off. I've asked everyone I know to front me the money. But no luck. I know I could have it in like two weeks, but I want it now. Man waiting sucks.

The only thing that brings me down is the cashier at GC that sold it to me didn't know the difference between and P- and Jazz Bass.

11. Well. Over time it seems that instruments get, well, better. So now I am hesitant to buy a new Stingray 5, or try to find a used one.