is 600 a good deal for a carvin 410 and a tube 1000 watt head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 11Bravo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    its all the red line stuff
    well is it?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A Carvin 1000w Tube head?

Maybe in happy fantasy land.

I want to live in happy fantasy land, with my friend the 2000w Phil Jones bass head, and my 1212121212 Schroeder cab.

Can I go there too?
  3. It's not a real tube head it is just tube emulated, rated at 1000 watts, actually seems to be a very great head, I'd have to say hell yes thats a good deal go for it.

4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    It's absolutely a good deal. I would snatch that up in a heart beat.
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    The Red Line series has a nasty reputation for premature failure.

Do a search; you'll see what I mean. Or just wait a little while for several of those "burned" by these amps to weigh in here. :mad:
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    All I saw was "1000 Watts Tube" at first.....

..... it made the hair on my neck stand.
  7. the redline amps are more made for studio use. If you plan on putting all the stuff in the back of your car, lugging in and out alot. the redline is not the way togo. but if it is going to sit in a studio somewhere for pretty much ever go for it.
  8. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    What about $200 for just the Carvin 410? I've played on thr Carvin RL amps and I couldn't get anything out of em...too many dials. All I need is a Volume and Low knob.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Now who told you something as silly as that? If they were made for studio, they'd just be a preamp.

Those redline amps were made with the intention that clubbing bassists would use them all the time, in all sorts of scenarios. Too bad they take a lot of work to dial in a usable tone, and that they tend to be mechanically reliable.
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If it's the BRX cab, it should be sweet. However, if it's a Red Line cab, forget about it. No low end whatsoever.
  11. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    This statement is not true, IME. There's enough low end in that rig to shake the walls......and sound good doing it, IMO. :scowl:
  12. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've had an RC210 combo, (R600 Head and 2X10 cab), for seven years, and for the first 5 years, it was my main rig playing well over 100 gigs and a regular weekly jam about 45 weeks a year... On the head, two reliability issues in that time that I was able to fix, (ceramic resistors needing replacing and the input module was destroyed by cords being stepped on)... The cabinet fared less favorably, mostly due to the Carvin speakers and my expecting too much of it... Has Eminence Kappas in it now and sounds great...

When I removed the head and ran it for a time with 2 1X15 cabs that I made it was very impressive indeed... It can take some tweaking to get a tone you like, but reading the manual definitely makes this much easier... I had no problems, but then again, I'm more of a 'meat and potatoes' tone guy...

This setup was far more reliable than my Eden vt.40 IME... The Eden was far from a bad amp, (you could not make that head sound bad!!), just one person's experience... The Eden did serve me well for a number of years before giving up the ghost...

If you have a chance to try the rig out, then do it... no amount of internet 'wisdom' will change what your ears tell you...

13. I remember a long time ago (2 years) on an amp search when Carvin was one of the few amp manufacturers I was reading about. I was strongly considering Gallien Krueger and the SWR 350x (which I later bought). Carvin was "the other one". I read at least two dozen reviews on these manufacturers and this is what I came up with. Carvin sucks. I never read reports of any "catching fire" but they would always end up fuzzy or die.

The quick fix:
    1. Douse it in contact cleaner (no not the kind you pour in your eyes).
    2. Re-solder the crappy job they did, preferably after dousing it in contact cleaner.

If that doesn't work can tell your friends you bought this really cool amp-shaped doorstop.

P.S. I also had a chance to actually play the 1000 watt head at Guitar Center a little over a year ago. Here is what I have to say, "Thphpbbppbhht"
  14. Spending hard earned U.S. $$$ on Carvin bass gear is never a good deal. :spit:
  15. Indeed it isn't. I would much rather spend the $$$ on one of those peddle things you see in Jackass where you peddle and a head on a pole comes up and makes contact with your

But, yeah. Spending money on anything Carvin is like buying a pet rock.
  16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's a shame that people will make short-sighted and irresponsble blanket statements like that. I don't have one of their amps but do own quite a bit of Carvin gear and those kind of remarks about Carvin quality in general couldn't be further from the truth.
  17. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have owned the 600 watt version of this head for several years, mated with the 2x10 and 1x15. The tone is not great and the whole contraption sounds rather hollow. The 600 watt rating on my amp is very, very generous. I use it only as a practice amp at my house. It does not see gig time anymore.

It has been very reliable and has over 60 gigs on it but I would not advise anyone to get any of the redline series products regardless of the price. I find them to be just too disappointing
  18. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Where in michigan do you live? We should meet up. I'm interested to know how these Carvin amps really sound. I'll let you play my mesa if you let me play your carvin :p
  19. When I tried the Carvin amp I didn't just spend 5 minutes with it. It had a fair amount of knobs. I tried a few basses with it, as it was once the subject of my amp hunt. I even hooked it up to a Workingman's 4x10 at the time. The amp was fairly new and I can only assume that the previous owner had found a much less expensive door stop.
  20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If this is all you saw, you weren't looking very hard. There are a lot of people who like those amps. Not that that's any reason you should like them. I'm just sayin'