Is $600 a good price for a 97 Am. Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I need some advice, someone offered me a excellent condition 1997 American Precision Bass (Sunburst color) for $600.00. But I don't know if this is a good price since a new American Precision Bass goes for about $899.00 and has the new S-1 switch and posi-flex graphite necks. Your advice/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Mike...that may be a bit high. Try for around $500, and its a very good deal. I'd pay no more than $550.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know what the "posi-flex" brand means, but the 97 American Standards had graphite reinforced necks.
  4. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

Do like Cheeze say....

600 is a bit high.
  5. Fender quality is variable. If the bass is a good one, it will set you up for life. Is that worth 600 dollars?
  6. I'll echo Andy's sentiments. I've got an AmStd P from around that period that I paid just under $600 for. I have absolutely no regrets; it's the nicest P I've ever played, and it was everything I wanted in a bass.

If you wait you might find something better or something cheaper ---- or maybe you won't. I've walked away from many sweet instruments because they were a priced a few dollars too high, only to regret it later when I return to find them gone.

7. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Does it feel right in your hands? If so, buy it. Who cares about 50 bucks when you've found the right one for you.
  8. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks everybody for the advice. I told the dealer about the feedback and he lowered the price a little. So I got it and for a used bass, It looks brand new and after I lowered the action it plays great. Thanks again.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations! I just wanted to quote this again:
    I have a 1997 American Standard Jazz V and it is absolutely everything I've ever wanted in an electric bass. It is wonderful, perfect, fantastic, it makes me want to sell all my other fretted electrics, including the stunning beautiful masterpiece in my avatar. I want nothing else from a fretted electric bass, my Fender Jazz V is the most perfect bass I've ever held in my hands. I've had it for 6 years now and It is the one I always turn to in every situation. My story is not unique. If you got a good Fender (and I believe the vast majority of them qualify as "good") you may have just started a wonderful lifelong relationship.