1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is $800 a good deal for an 80's Fender Jazz Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lastminute, Apr 4, 2009.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    A neighbor of mine is selling an old Fender Jazz Special...the kind Duff McKagan plays....not the reissue.

He's asking $800....which seems a bit much. Agreed?

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    WAAAYYYYY too much IMO.

I usually see them in the $300-$500 range.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    +1 It's not an $800 bass.

4. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I want to say that I paid $497 new for mine back in '89.

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    lol im selling one

6. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    I paid that for my Duff. and i believe it was worth it . you could spend more or less and get a good bass . just have to try it out and see if it speaks to you .... have a friend with a orig 76 mia and it aint got a thang on my duff . last year the one you talk about was 650 or so -- but that was last year.... i think it would be hard to find a bass made as well as mine for 800 just my opinion

7. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    With today's market any where between $300-$400 (all u need to do is check out the TB classifieds).

8. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    point out digs and such and try to talk him down. or give him proof that its worth your offer ($350-$500?)

9. There's one on Ebay right now that's right around $300 so far.Might hit $350 before it's done I figure.

10. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Fender Jazz: 500US max

11. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    play one before u buy it the tone is not for everyone i dont really dig its sound

12. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    sold mine to a guy now he is selling it on ebay attempting to profit here it is no reserve i owned this and the case sold it to him today for 380$ and now he wants to sell it for more i guess? lol anyways its not me thats selling it i promise but i did own / gig this bass for years so if u have any questions u can ask me i actaully play he i just an ebayer attempting to flip a bass
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Jazz-Bas...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

13. mibassman

mibassman

Mar 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I would say $800 is a bit much. Check it out and if you like it offer him a bit less. I have an 80's jazz power bass special and absolutely love the thing. A very versatile bass. It has the punchy rock sound that I dig. I'm actually looking to unload my Warwick so I can pick up another one.

14. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    my good friend has one of these in a faded seafoam green. one thing though on his that ive never seen on any others ever, it has a holographic headstock on the black. whenever i see pictures of these basses, i always look for one with that but so far its unique. has anyone ever heard of this?

15. I'd totally forget about it.

Best case scenario- you convince him to sell it to you at a reasonable price, then he thinks he did you a massive favor and you owe him one.

Go elsewhere and buy one at half the price.