Is $850 too much for Mexican Fender? Looking for a Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Oct 21, 2016.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    A brand new Fender Jazz? Is it too much? I'm sure this question has been asked before I apologize in advance

It's a brand new 70's Jazz. I'm looking for a jazz bass but not sure if I want American or not, but honestly in the end it doesn't matter that much

My budget is around $600-800 (new or used)and I really like the blocked and bound necks. I don't have a problem buying mexican just don't want to pay too much...

And also it doesn't have to be Fender, however I don't know of many good quality Fender jazz copies that are under $2000 haha.

Wanna add; I'm not xenophobic, that has nothing to do with my decision :roflmao:

Thanks!

2. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    you can get a used mexican fender in very good condition for about $300-350.

i believe they go for around $500-600 new these days.

to answer your question, that seems like way too much money.

fretter and organworthyplayer337 like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You see what they are going for - that's the price new. I would look here on the classifieds - lots of them there.

4. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    ^^This
    For Sale: Bass Guitars
    Not mine but caught my eye and seem to be very well made from the reviews I have read. Good luck.

5. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    The 70s MIM bass you are looking at is priced that way for a reason. It is not a standard MIM model and is priced along the lines of the Road Worn series.

I have played the 70s MIM and found it to be a excellent bass in build and sound.

I do however prefer the MIJ 70s Jazz Bass due to the color options and offered maple fret boards.

If the MIM 70s had a maple fretboard option I would jump on one.

thunderkyss, Helix, pudgychef and 2 others like this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I wouldn't say so because they seem to have no problem selling the Flea model at $1,199.

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    *I have no affiliation to the seller*

There is an awesome LTD Elite jazz bass with a hard case in the classifieds for just under $700. Made in Japan by ESP's luthiers. It is not bound and blocked but you would be very hard pressed to find a better bass at double the cost of this one. ESP Japan makes some very, very high quality gear.

El-Bob likes this.
  8. If you're going to spend that for an MIM I would buy the RoadWorn Jazz. It's a great bass and feels sounds and plays like a real vintage instrument. Buy one used and even if you decide to sell you won't lose any money, you can sell it for what you paid for it easily.

2cooltoolz likes this.
  9. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    The best bet for your budget and requirements is a used Geddy Lee model, crafted in Japan. You might be able to get a new MIM for $800 if you want a warranty and newness, but most of us seem to prefer the Japanese Geddy. They sell for $6-700 used, but I recently saw one sell for $500 ish on eBay. The MIM 70s jazz is a nice model, but I do think it is a tad pricey. It is worlds above the MIM standard jazz though.

$800 is also in the range of american standard jazz bass used. No blocks, but other features like reinforced neck, string through bridge, really nice tuners, and just a really solid feel. A lifetime instrument.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You want the simple truth?

It might be to much for this guy, it might be too much that guy, but it's not too much for me and it shouldn't be too much for you.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  11. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
  12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    +100% - The Classic Series MIMs are a cut above...
    My '06 Classic 50s P is an very well made bass...all of them I have played are as well. I have kept it while plenty of good (and way pricier PS) have been auditioned.
    If you want the 70s J vibe, (IMHO) the only Fender J that will hands down beat it is CS route...the MIA productions RIs are great...but (again IMHO) the quality difference doesn't not match the price gap on a consistent enough basis to not just grab a good used MIM

RickyWoo likes this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

$350 is too much for a Mexican Fender, IMHO.
    I wouldn't want a new one, as I had my problems with the neck on a new one.
    A used one for $300 or less would be great though.

VWbug likes this.
  14. You could probably get a used American Jazz for 800.00, look on ebay.

15. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Macedon, NY
    Sometimes you can find a Lakland skyline jazz bass within your budget if you look around. I got my DJ5 from a local shop for $799.

16. kamm

kamm

Jan 11, 2015
    Elburn, IL
    In terms of the resale value you'd get if you tried to sell it later, it's probably not a great deal for you. But, if that particular bass is great (solid neck, well-balanced, etc) and you're not worried about resale, then go for it.

My experience with MIMs is that they can be as good as anything else, but sometimes they aren't. Either way, it's tough to sell a MIM item that's great for as much as a MIA item that's not.

17. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    But this isn't a MIM standard...its a Classic Series..whole different animal...
    My Classic Series 50s P is equal to Tue best MIJ stuff I have owned...easily Tue equal of my old Sting P or the older MIJ Geddy....
    That being said ..the newer MIM Standards are darn nice too!!

But the Classic Series are like the CS version of MIMs...ime/imho

TMARK likes this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Lakland 4401 Electric Bass Guitar

upload_2016-10-22_9-54-10.png
    not exactly a Jazz, but it is a Lakland

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  19. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021