Is $850 too much for Mexican Fender? Looking for a Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Oct 21, 2016.

1. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    In answer to the question of the 70's bass, yes. That's the price. I hold them in higher regard than Standard MIM. Gigged steady for 2 years straight with one. Solid bass.

2. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    You're talking standard MIM, right? The OP is talking the 70's MIM. Different basses.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  3. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    If a 70's Jazz is what you want the Japanese Geddy's usually go for around $700.00 To me the Japanese Geddy's are the best Jazz Bass that Fender ever made. They are somehow different from all the others. They GROWL. They SNARL.

ubernator likes this.
  4. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    You can find used MIJ Fender Jazz basses for around $500. That's the way I'd go, if I didn't want to shell out for a US model.

Another option is a used MIA bass from the 1990s. I've seen them commonly around $750, sometimes less.

5. gordon sims

gordon sims

Nov 23, 2010
    If OP is talking about the Fender Classic Series 70s Jazz bass (MIM) that is a really good bass. I think I paid $700 CAD for mine - it was on sale. I think at one time they were retailing for around $1200 which is a bit steep but I am very happy with mine.

6. I bought both mim p and jazz for $300 each. So why pay so much more? Keep looking.

7. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Every non-standard MIM Fender I've played recently has been really great. I bought one of the Deluxe ash Jazz basses. It was light, had a great neck, great fret work. Resonant too. Pickups and preamp were pretty good.

I returned it, but only because the bass I really wanted (AVRI Jazz from '88) appeared a week later in the shop, for the same price.

8. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

You can get a nice Sire V7 for that money. Couldn't recommend it enough. They are bound and have block inlays. The active/passive preamps are incredible and they just ooze quality. I've owned two MIM active Fenders, one I changed the pickups and electronics on, and the other I sold. The Sire is stock and I'm very happy with it. IMO better than a MIM Fender.

9. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Seen prices dip a little on some, saw one go for $503 on eBay, and that one above $599 at guitar center.

I paid $450 used for mine, in 1999. I play my 98 american standard much more often, it really takes a beating. The geddy has a super fast thin neck and the bridge, pickups and spacing really give it a punchy tone, but I find it feels much more fragile (than the american standard) in my hands. The MIM geddy for $499 is a good deal too, the neck is chunkier, but not as chunky as the 70s mim with the bullet truss rod. All 3 are excellent, but I choose a geddy over the 70s any day, the badassII or geddy Sig bridge is much better than vintage fender style bridge of the 70s classic. You can always upgrade the bridge on the 70s, but then you have spent almost double the cost of that MIM geddy for $499!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah I thought it was too much but someone did mention that's priced right along with the 50s pbasses which are Mexican as well.... I'm still debating whether I need a Jazz.........

Nvm, I probably do :D

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If it has to be a Fender, go for it...but seriously, you might want to consider Bacchus.
    All $800 or less. Quality second to none. Turbo boost, too.
    The first one is actually a trans pink
    2il25iu.jpg
    2lb2h6g.jpg
    mh4src.jpg
    15rh5ko.jpg

12. rumblejunkie

rumblejunkie

Nov 19, 2011
    Falkirk
    Here in the Uk a new Mexican Jazz is £690 and the outgoing USA standard is £999 so if it were me Id spend the little extra (if I had it) . Mexican Jazz and Ps last year were £550 so it reeks of greed to up the prices to that much .

13. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    If it's the Classic Series from Mexico then then price might be pretty good. Those are like the top end of the Mexican range.

I'd say they're as good as the American Specials that Fender released around the same price point every so often in the past.

Fender added two higher quality lines to their Mexican offerings over the last several years. The Deluxes and the Classic Series lines.

Long story short, some people think you're talking about a Mexican Standard which sells for around 500 USD. Fender Mexico also offers basses that cost between 600 and 1100 USD that are higher quality and may have fancier features than the Standard series out of Mexico.

Every price I mention is for a new instrument. Used prices are usually 50-70% of that spending on the model.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021