Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is a 10 watt big enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yoda Masta, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Yoda Masta

Yoda Masta

Feb 14, 2005
    whats up, i am going to start bass playing very soon and im buying an amp off of amazon. i was looking at the Drive CD 100B Bass Combo. its a 10 watt one. i dont know what types are good. im gunna be in a band w/ a few of my friends but ill probably just need an amp that can actually be heard in a garage w/ a few other instruments playing.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

10 watts is an in-ear monitor not a bass amp!! ;)

Seriously - you will get no bass/bottom end and will barely be heard against acoustic gutars!!

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

10 watts will be enough for your bedroom, nothing more. If you plan on playing with others, better get AT LEAST 100 watts... You will never be heard with less. Bass requires A LOT more wattage to obtain volume than other instruments.

Hard rock and metal players really need a lot of watts (like 500+) to keep up with just a couple of 100 watt guitar stacks. Takes a lot less wattage to drive a guitar or vocals. Here is a good thread that somebody recently started looking for a good, low cost combo amp for playing with others --> Click Me!

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Start reading posts here and use the SEARCH feature. Your questions will be answered.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Tryat least 50-100 watts. I can be heard over my friends when I'm at church on my friend's Ampeg BA-112, but thats only 70 watts.

6. Quadzilla

Well a church band is a heck of a lot different from a hard rock band. Not sure what this guy is planning on playing in or what he prefers to play. You really can never have enough headroom. ALWAYS best to come with more rather than less!

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Agreed. Don't even waste your money on a ten watt amp. It'll last you maybe two or three days (if that), and then you'll realize what a crappy and useless amp you have. Someone said "ear monitor", that's about right. And little dinky speakers suck for bass too. How about a nice Peavey TNT or something? You can find those used on eBay for very reasonable prices. :)

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Loud enough you will be not, the dark side guitars cloud all.

9. Quadzilla

Good one Jack!

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes! To Master Jack, you listen! Only a fully trained bassist, with 100+Watts as his ally, can conquer the darkside during practice.

::AHEM::.... so... yeah... look for 100Watts. It'll get you by in practice without strain. If you wanna play shows... well... you'll need to start building a stage rig later on maybe. But dont drop money on a 10Watt amp. :meh: If you went to a junkyard and spent about 5 hours of time on it, you could make a 10 watt amp, probably.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    A few options you may want to consider:

Fender Rumble 100
    SWR LA15
    Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180

12. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've actually got the Drive CD 100B Yoda - didn't buy it myself (never would) - was given it by a friend...

Let me jus warn you its not worth a cent you pay for it...its starts to fart out as soon as you turn on the power button

Don't go near it mate!!! Save a little more for a Roland Cube 30, or even the fenders would be better - actually, ANYTHING is better than this crap box!!!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It is my custom to say 600 watts minimum. For you today, though, I'll ride with the 100-watt crowd. That's today and today only.

14. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Remember Its not how big it is, its what you do with it!!! :p

Nah just kidding, I would say 100watts -200watts would be adaquate to practise at a resonable level without really p*****g off the neighbours!

Cheers and Beers

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If you're going to be in a band and need to be heard you need 100w MINIMUM. Look for used stuff.