1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a 1998 Ampeg Heritage B15R considered to be collectible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bowedtoothdoc54, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    So last month I came across and purchased a used 1998 Ampeg Heritage B15R. I believe that this was the first year that this model was produced and according to the serial number it's #21 of 50 that were made that year? The amp is in very good condition, sounds great, and has the original tubes which still have plenty of life left in them. I see that they have introduced some other similar Heritage models, but apparently they made some changes to cut costs for the units. Does anyone if this is or will be considered collectible? Thanks in advance!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Kind of. It's not exactly a B15 and they're also rare. More like a portaflex V4B. I dig mine a lot.

3. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I am not exactly sure what model you are referring to here (a photo would be cool:)). You mention "B15R" - this is the 100 watt Portaflex model that was produced from 1997 until about 2005. The B15R was built "in limited numbers", but it did not have two digit serial numbers (like the later Heritage" models) but they had the same long serial numbers as the rest of the products of their time. Ampeg did not start using the title "Heritage" until 2010 - when they made 50 hand wired limited edition 30 watt B15's. In 2012 they made another 100 B15's (with minor changes). They currently offer the "cost cutting" model - no chrome chassis or dolly and has a printed circuit board.

Vintage-Blue likes this.
  4. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    This is the one that I have:
    Ampeg: Diamond Blue Series - B-15
    It has a regular serial #, but before that it has (21) and I think your are correct that it's not a Heritage model?

5. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yeah - that's the B15R. I have been using mine for about 15 years. The value has wavered over time (my second one sold at auction about 5 years ago for $2250 but I have seen others go for far less since). They will always be a high quality - great sounding tube amp with style. As long as there are people with good taste and money - it should remain collectible ;)

6. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    and - I don't know what the (21) is - mine doesn't have a number in parenthesis - but I have seen that on other Ampegs.

7. This was the first all-tube B15 reish. It's 100/60 watts. 5-string friendly considerations have been alluded to in its desigin which is a bit counter-intuitive given that the cab is sealed rather than ported. Also, it has a tweeter. I would love to have one.

8. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Cool amp!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's a possibility it will be collectable, and a first-year B-15R certainly has more possibility than any others, but I don't think the window for that has opened yet. And when it does, I wouldn't count on it paying for you to retire.

10. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    I think I got a pretty good deal on it and as long as I don't loose money on it I will be happy. Plus it looks pretty cool and sounds awesome :)

20161028_181347.

10cc, boamedt and JimmyM like this.
  11. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    COol. Since we talked about it, I have noticed three different Ampeg items of mine have the "(21)" by the serial number. I don't know what it means, but all three of those items were made around 2005 and were not limited editions.

12. They've a "half power" switch on em too iirc. 60w/100w. nice amp.

13. Apex_speed

Apex_speed Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Denver
    I'm late to the party as your questions have been well answered here and in the Portaflex threat but I thought I would add Justin's video if you haven't seen it:

Being a B15 junkie with experience with most all the versions, I would agree that the B15R is really more a V4B on a 115 cab than a B15 in both character and design. It has a (rather poor) tweeter and a much more modern tone. It is an important part of B15 history and a great addition to any bass arsenal.

Now you need to ad a vintage B15 as a companion! :woot:

jumbodbassman likes this.
  14. LUCKY!

15. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I had the even rarer extension cab for a while (no 42), but I had to let go of it for lack of room, if I recollect correctly...

punchclock likes this.
  16. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    I am wondering if my B15R could have been made in 2005 as the letter designation for the year is "S"?

17. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is "S" the
    is "S" the fifth digit? If so, I think that would mean it was made in 2007.[/QUOTE]

18. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    Ye "S" man!

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2006, actually. But only if it's the 5th digit.

Bass 45 likes this.
  20. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks Jimmy! Yes it's the 5th digit :)