Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is a 1x10 combo adequate??

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bibby, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    hey guys!

i'm new to the double bass, i've been playing about 6 months now. i'm just about ready to amplify so i've been researching this site (wonderful source!)

right now i have a tech 21 landmark 60 1x10 combo that i use for practice/ monitoring/ very small acoustic gigs with my electric. do you guys feel that a 1x10 has enough oomph to adequately amplify a double bass?

from my searches it seems that 1x12's are the norm, but i did notice a few mentions of the swr workingman 10.

would i be better off alotting money for a 1x12 cab to go along with my ashdown abm500 head?

thanks

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You'll need to expound on what types of tunes you'll be playing, what lineup etc. Is this a jazz trio? A big band? A rock band? Latin? All styles potentially have different amp solutions, from nothing on up to everything....

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    furthermore, one thing i've learned around here is that folks seem to find speaker solutions range far beyond simply getting the right size. different brands are going to sound differently even in the same sizes, what with cabinet efficiency and range of frequency reproduction et al.

for many applications a ten is great, though as i said each brand will have a distinct sound. i'd say a good ten is a very versatile speaker for low-mid volume applications.

i use 12" gk combo and it does all right. not always tight. i haven't compared it with many other rigs.

sean p

4. Well put. These variables will make all the difference in the world as to what you will need.

My recommendation would be to check into getting an Acoustic Image Clarus head and cabinets that suit your taste and needs. This solution offers substantially improved flexibility, scalability, and upgrade options over a combo, IMHO.

My new setup consists of a Clarus, one Bergantino HT-112, and one Euphonic Audio CXL112. I have been very happy with this rig - it works well for all of those in-between volume/size situations that my former rig (AI Contra + aforementioned cabs) didn't handle well and my initial tests indicate that it's much more BG-friendly.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'm doing great with the 280 watt 8" Schertler Powered speaker. Handles everything up to the point where I would want to send a signal to the house. It works perfect for those in-between clubs I get that aren't big enough for a PA, but too loud (crowd noise) to play acoustic.

Monte

6. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    cool, guys. thanks.

i should have known there were a lot of variables involved.:p :p

i know a lot of people love the clarus line, but right now i can't justify buying an exclusive double bass rig. maybe later, but for now i just want to adapt my electric bass gear.

since i'm going to start with mostly acoustic (no drummer) folk type gigs i think my little 1x10 combo will work nicely just to just "enhance" the sound.

eventually i'll probably get a 1x12, or at least something bigger than a 1x10, to go with my ashdown head. this will fill the middle range for my electric setup as well.

7. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I finally settled on rig to double on Electric and Acoustic as well. Alot of players are using the Euphonic Audio iamp350 for both Upright and Electric and having great success. I went with the Ampeg Portabass for my choice. Extremely transparent and very tweakable, a departure from typical Ampeg design and color.
    I use the PB210 cab for electric and bought the PB110 cab for Upright both powered by the PB250 head. Still pretty expensive but over all the same price as the EA combo and I added an additional 110 cab.
    So far I have been knocked out with the results. Not sure you will find a lot DB'ers supporting the Porta bass but if you get a chance to hear it do yourself the favor.
    I would still like to get a AI coda for the sake of a second channel and a different sound but my Blender is taking care of the second channel and In all honesty I'm not sure the AI is going to sound better than the Ampeg for Acoustic bass anyway.
    Maybe an AI cab would do the trick.

Good luck