Is a 2 3/8" string spacing too narrow on a 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 30, 2004.

1. I am interested in buying a particular 5-string bass, but the string spacing at the bridge is listed at 2 3/8". Is that too narrow? What is normal string spacing. I own a 4-string Jazz - what's the string spacing there?
  2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    im not to certain but that works out at about 15mm thats fairly average but it will be alot different to the jazz the jazz is 19-20mm not sure
  3. Will that be too narrow for fingerstyle play? I don't have sausage fingers, but...
  4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    well i just got a five today! to be honest it took me maybe 30 minutes max to get used to it.... and i wouldnt dare go near a PLECK!
    what kinda bass is it?
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, if it is 15 mm, it might be a bit narrow - especially for slap & pop, but it will be better for chording than normal spacing. It will be playable, but it will take some time to get used to. Most 5s and 6s are 16-17 mm, 4s and broadnecks are 19 or 20 mm
  6. I'm looking at the Brice Fretless Jazz 5. Here's a pic:

I'm used to Fender Jazz 4-string spacing, but narrow might be good for chording on a fretless. I don't know because I've never really played fretless - this will be my first.
  7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    wow thats actually really sweet!

bein a fender"copy" it prob has between 16-17mm so you,ll be cool
    and i dont think youll be gettin up to much slap on this bein fretless and all[But all hail Claypool]...

youll be grand!
  8. I don't plan on slapping, but I don't want to gt my fingers stuck between the strings either! ;)
  9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    well im the king of club hands man... so dont worry have you played it?

like you should know within 10mins if it is for you
  10. I'd love to try it out first, but he's in NJ and I'm in WA - too far to drive. I'm buying based on the recommendations of folks here on TB.
  11. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I have 2 basses with 15mm string spacing (a 5 string and a 7 string). I also have huge hands (I'm 6'5", etc) but I haven't had any problems with the narrow spacing. The 5 string is actually my main bass at the moment.
  12. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Best advice is play it and see for yourself. Personally, I prefer a narrower spacing. My 5er is about 16.5mm, and my new custom 4 will be 17mm and the 5 about the same too. Don't slap much though, and I've got a couple of other basses for that.