Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is a 3-pro enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalgod502, Dec 18, 2003.

1. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    i need a head. i like ampegs they have a really nice tone. i was thinking about getting the svt 3 pro but i see its only 450 watts. i have an acme low b4 cab. it can handle up to 1000 watts. i cant afford a 4 pro or a 5 pro so im thinking about going with the 3 but is it powerful enough?

2. ..not even close. The 3Pro is extremely underpowered and sometimes unstable into a 4 ohm load.

3. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I played a gig with the Pietasters about a month ago and used thier bass player's rig. He had an SVT3 pro going into a Genz-Benz 4x10. We had PA support so I didn't have to worry about carrying the sound into the crowd, and just used it as a monitor. As such, it was adequate, but just barely. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to rely on it, especially if you are playing without PA support.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have been hearing lots of negative comments towards the new 3pro's. Mine is from '94 and has been flawless. Mine has more than enough headroom (the key is to turn on the graphic eq, and crank the 10 decible boost slider), and sounds great. I wouldn't pay $900 + tax for one, but mine ($350) was a steal, and i love the amp.

6. Just figured I'd chime in since I too run an Acme Low B-4. I'm pushing 1400 watts into mine (love it!). I don't see that the Acme would "come to life" with much less then 1000 watts. Set your sights on a new/used power amp (QSC RMX1450?) and a decent pre-amp (RBI?).

BTW- What are you using to power it now?

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What guy said. My 3Pro has been fine @loud rehearsals (for gigs I use a pre/power rig) but I would have to say that it would NOT be a good choice for pushing an Acme!

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    what about the pre amp SVT and a power amp about 1k loud ?

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive never tried the 3-pro but having owned a few Acmes I can say that it will definitely NOT push a B4 satisfactorily. I second the recommendation of a pre/power amp setup.

10. wblaze

wblaze

Apr 26, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to think that my newer Ampeg 3-pro was just fine in the volume department until it broke down on a tour and I switched to my backup head - a GK 700RB. This amp blows the Ampeg away volume wise, turning the GK up to about 4 was the equivalent of 9 on the Ampeg. I was running the heads at 4 ohms with Ampeg 410 and 115 cabs.

Tone-wise I give a small edge to the Ampeg, especially when played alone. But when mixed in with a loud band, the GK was punchier, and cut through better. It can growl if you turn up the Boost knob. Also stay away from the Contour knob -this makes tthe sound too modern/clean for me.

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    What would you say about an SVT-3 Pro pushing an Avatar 2x10 cab and possibly an Avatar 1x15 along with it. I'm trying to get a small light rig together for my dad and he's a huge fan of the ampeg sound (I run an SVP-Pro through a QSC 3402 power amp, but that's too big for his taste).

12. I push 4 x Acme B2-II cabs (~ the equivalent of 2 x B4 cabs) with a QSC PLX3002 and it is the perfect amount of power. I agree with guyplaysbass that 1000 or more watts is really needed to bring your cabinet to life, and that a used RMX/RBI setup would be a killer rig.

13. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    im not fimiliar with the whole power amp thing. do i get the 3 pro and a power amp? or what.

14. The 3Pro combines both the preamp & poweramp sections as most amp "heads" do. If you keep your eyes open for good prices you could probably find a decent preamp (such as the suggested Tech21 Sansamp RBI) and a suitable poweramp (like the QSC RMX or PLX series) in the same price range as a new 3Pro.

You would have enough power to make your Acme B4 sound like it should.