Is a 5 string worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brionifitch, Apr 12, 2003.

1. brionifitch

Apr 12, 2003
    I already own a nice 4 string bass and like it very much but I'm wondering about a five string. Is a 5 really worth the extra money?
  2. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Play one. Nobody on the internet can decide for you.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    YES! :D 5 strings are God's gift to bassists! ;) I lvoe them to death, but you might not. My advise- go to your local music store, play som 5 strings, decided whether or not your comfortable with and if you would like it or find it useful. If so, its worth it! The common pros and cons of 5 strings are:
    They have more range to use, and allow more flexibility in using scales and minimize teh amount of movement needed across the neck, also useful for intimidating guitarists! The and part (to some) is that teh strings are usually closer togather, and thus harder to slap on without more practice. Also, there is one more string to mute, and some people don't like the width of the neck. Just some stuff to keep in mind- 5's aren't for everyone....but tehy should be!! ;)
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Sure they can, if he lets them. Here - I'll show you.

Not only are they worth the money, but they have become the standard. Go out and buy a five string immediately.

How's that?

5. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Absolutely right. Play more than one though.

I've always played a four until recently. For more than a dozen years people have tried to convince me to get a five. I just didn't like them. . . . Then I found some fives with a string spacing that agrees with my playing technique and I love 'em. Just bought my first this year. It is probably becoming my main bass.

Maybe I'll even get a six one day. But don't hold your breath.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    go out and play one- .. and even if you dont think its your thing- consider it again, they are becoming the standard and bassists are almost expected to have one.. but they may feel alien at first - it did to me- back in '83- never looked back.... i HIGHLY recommend them!
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Go play a few in all the price ranges that you can afford and a few in the next one up. Right now i own 2 5-string basses. A DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 that i got on blow out and a EB MM Ray5. The pilot has a huge wide string spacing and i learned to slap on this bass out of need [needed to for a jazz band chart & a holiday show chart]. The Ray5 has a much tighter string spacing but it's still enough for me to slap. I think the 5 string is worth the money. I'd probably check the newbie links at the top since they most likely have some information that could help you decide. Have Fun
  8. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    :D So true.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I got my first fiver back in Y2K. Now, all I play are five strings. It's the perfect choice for me. I wish 5 string was a realistic option when I began playing back in 1976.

Note that playability can vary greatly on fives. I prefer "wide" fives, others prefer narrow ones.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Go play one and find out :)
  11. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Me too.

All the time I said I disliked fivers, all the ones I had played had been narrow. I have slightly smaller than average hands, so I always thought that those wide necks would be too much for me. Not the case. From the first time I picked up a wide-necked five, I knew that was the answer for me. It gives me the same string spacing at the bridge as the four string I'm used to.
  12. On ly you can decide.. obviously, but..

Does the extra money worth it?

That's it.
  13. I'm a devoted 5'er. You have such a wider range of options with a five. If I dont want to play a song at the end of my neck, I simply move up and utilize the b string. Love it, Does make it harder to mute when slapping though, and I also tend to slap 2 strings at once. For slap, I prefer my four. But since I just spent a bundle of money on my newest 5 and my only 4 is an older Peavy that buzzes around any flourescent lights, I always play my 5, and keep my slapping to a minimum.
  14. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    think you'll love it once you try it...but a 6 is nice too!:D
  15. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You definately have to try one. I have only owned 1 5er in the past and while it was a nice bass, I just decided that my playing style (and comfort for my hands) was better on 4 strings, thus I now have two 4 stringers. It is all based on feel vs. usefullness.

Just to give you a view on the other side of the 5 string vs. 4 string thing.

16. bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    Well I'm new at this but I have to agree that 5 is the way of the future (don't have to down tune, or use drop tuners which are not great for the neck over time). and I also agree playing the fives is a personal preferance wide neck or tight string configuration. Personaly I think if you can go tight, DO IT! reason being it would be easyer to go to a thick, from a thin. play it tight and then get a bigger board.. my opinion....

Oh yeah I also think 6 strings get to close to the gutiar range ( and for the cost are kinda silly ). but only that five can go that low.....

And all I wanna do is go DOWN!!!!
  17. bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    Try the fretless with out the rattle of strings and fretts all you get is BASS!!!!!!!!

But it looks like it will take some serious practice to make it right...:bassist:
  18. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I say, go 6, many here have done that, and loved it. The neck width is different, but with a bit of practice, it probably wouldn't be much harder than a 5 or a 4. im thinkin my far future lineup will contain all even-numbered stringed basses... I figger, add one string, add another, there arent as many big jumps going from 5 to 6 as there are 4 to 5....

my one cent of opinion.

I was playing something yesterday and I was thinkin 'man, I need a low B and a high C really frickin bad right now' so I say go for it!
  19. bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    When the ibanez 770 jem (the first big deal 7 string electrc guitar) came out and then the corrasponding 5 string bass everybody said there was no application for what has become a standard (certainly for the more progressive and versitile musician) so I concede that even though there is little out there that needs the high C, it is a new formate and is starting to draw a crowd.....

next big thing or new 8 track??????

what do you guys think high c or no high c?:meh: