1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a 700rb enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Oct 1, 2008.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Is a 700rb enough to run two GK neo 212s? I mean, I know it will run them, but would it be enough to bring out their full potentiel and play on stage, or would I be better off getting a 1001rb or 2001rb?

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    My 700rb has served me extremely well going through a 2x10 and 1x12 together, and I rarely have to turn the volume up past 12 o'clock on stage.

That being said, unless you've found a great deal on a 700rb, I'd think that the slight price increase to the 1001 would be worth it just to have the head room.

2001rb? Pretty sure that'd be overkill for most situations.

3. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    I use my 700 RbII w an SBX 410 and an SBX 115 and have never had an issue with volume. While kap'n is correct about the added headroom vrs cost with 1001, I prefer the tone of the 700 (as always it comes down to personal choice).

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    as you can see from my sig i run a 700rb-ii into a 212+112 stack.
    ...almost the rig you're going for. i've never had trouble being excessively loud. sometimes i wish i had gotten the extra wattage of the 1001, but i have never actually needed it. from what i can tell/have heard, the 700 is a little growlier at lower volumes than the 1001, but the flip side is that you get more clean headroom with the 1001.

my $.02

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Dang, how much clean headroom do you need?

For me, that little bit was not nearly worth the tone difference. My 1001rbII lasted exactly 1 week before it got sent back and replaced with the 700rbII. The 1001 had to hit ear bleed volumes to get the tone I could get out of the 700. I run the 212 and 112 as well. Very very loud. But here is the thing to think about...... for me, the 700rbII is better in the sense that I'll play more gigs where the power and available headroom of the 700 is fine, and I'll be able to get the warmth and growl out of it. At many of those same gigs, trying to get the 1001 to warm up will mean me playing too loud. At anything where the 700 is not enough, there is normally pa support. The thing is 480 watts, and add an extra 50watts for the tweeter if you're using the HMS. More than enough for most venues. Heck, sometimes I think I don't need much more than the 400rbIV.

Use the dough you save from getting the 700, and invest in a good compressor (the EBS MultiComp is an incredible addition to the 700rb)

Ljazz

6. i have 700 rb II running through two GK112 neo cab

MORE THAN i will ever need. I never have to turn the volume pass 1/2 and it's freaking LOUD

7. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    this basically sums up my experience with my 700rb, the first-gen ones with "only" 380 watts. it definitely sounds its best with a little drive though (IMO), so if you want squeeky clean (then why do you want a GK?) or you need truly huge volume, maybe the bigger amps are better suited to your purpose.

8. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I already have a 700rb but was just unsure if it was enough or if my head was goin to be constantly distorting or something. I dont have alot of tech experience so thanks a bunck. One quick question though, will the 112 lock corners with a 212? The GK Neos that is...

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I run a 400RB IV through both an Avatar 212 NEO and Avatar 210 NEO and it does just fine.

Plenty of room to grow...

10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not necessarily clean headroom...

As mentioned by another poster, the original 700rb was only 350w - which is the one I have. There were a few occasions where to get the oompf that I wanted, I had to turn it up to the point where it had a bit more distortion than I would have liked.

Those times are largely the fault of bad house systems in larger venues that you'd think would really have something better in place.

So essentially I agree with you, there should never really be a reason to need more volume than that.

11. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I use the 700 RBII with a single 4-Ohm Avatar 112, and never have the volume up past 10:00 in any of gigs - largest gig was a 200 person charity event in a very large room with lots of granite tiles on the floor, and no stage. Lots of volume and clean headroom at 4 Ohms.