1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is a bass balls a bass balls a bass balls? if you know what i mean

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by almix12, Oct 4, 2008.

1. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    So I'm looking into purchasing a bass balls pedal but there are so any out there, which model would you say on the used market is best for the money and gives the classic sound??
    thanks,
    Alex

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've had a USA reissue and I've currently got the Nano. I actually think the bigger unit sounded better, but maybe I'm imagining things.

3. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    okay thanks for the input, so you like the usa reissue better
    is that the black one with the blue font?
    thanks, anyone else?

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    nope, the US one is the brushed aluminum or whatever it is one with the red label. The black/blue version is the Russian one.

5. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    alright, what are the differences soundwise between the US and russian one?
    and what's this "el nino" one i am hearing about? is that the same as the nano?

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Can't help you there; i've only tried the US and Nano ones. Both sound pretty much alike to me.

7. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    alright thanks
    so has anyone AB'd the russian vs the US?

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    The Russian one can double as a brick if you are in a riot or a chock block if you are parking on a hill:D

9. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    HAH thanks
    but tonally nothing??? i've gotta sovtek big muff for the brick/chock block qualities and a vintage morley pwo wah

10. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'd say go with whatever you could find cheapest. The only real difference is between the US and the Russian versions, IMO.

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Not enough to mention, I know one member said they liked the distortion on the nano better then the Sovtek. I haven't tried the nano because I all ready have a Sovtek one and I don't use it live so I don't need a smaller one, and I got mine before they did the US reissue so.....................

12. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    right so i'm still a LITTLE confused.
    Is there a tonal difference (lets say distortion aside for the sake of argument) between the Russian one and the USA one?

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is one-- but then again, I'm basing that on there historically being a tonal difference between the US and Russian versions, especially when it comes to things like Big Muffs.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Actually I've just realised that I use my Nano Bassballs in a totally different way to my old USA R/I, and in a different place in my chain, so that could account for my thinking that they sound different.

If I were you I'd get the Nano, it certainly doesn't sound bad, it's smaller, and of course it's got a boss-style power socket so there's no messing around with silly jack converters or battery clip converters.

15. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    the nanos seem to be generally more expensive, however

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Eh.

Look, just get all three plus a 70's one and see which one you like the best, it is the only way to really answer your question.

17. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    now THAT sounds expensive
    i'm amazed nobody has a sovtek and a usa reissue
    i found a good deal on a sovtek so i might just go for that one

18. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Maybe collectors do, but I don't know of any 'players' that have both. This likely means the sonic differences aren't worth having both. I doubt one sounds 'better' than another, it's just a matter of preference.

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    From my limited experience with the USA Reissue and the Nano versions, they sound pretty much identical.

As far as "classic" sounds go, I don't see how you could go wrong with the Nano version. The Russian versions are usually farther from the originals anyway. It's usually due not to a different circuit, but a lower level of part and build quality.

20. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Go for it. Certainly none of the different Bassballs are famously bad-sounding, so if you can get one cheaper than the others you should just get that one.