1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a bass DI necessary for my setup Metal band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Federico Nunez, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Federico Nunez

Federico Nunez

Feb 21, 2021
    Hello, Im from Paraguay and I have a metal/progressive band my current setup is an Ibanes SR305 in my pedalboard i have in order (Darkglass Alpha Omicron-MXR 10 Band EQ-MXR Bass Compressor-Vox Stomplab 2b), To play live I use a Hartke 100 w combo amp. My concern comes from the vox stomplab which is a cheap multieffects pedal.
    Should I invest in a Samsamp or a Vst to have a good speaker sim or is the stomplab speaker sim good enough. Or should I buy a better multieffect and problem solved. Do i need the parallel output Sansamp offers for metal or no?. Is there a pedal that can give me Chorus Delay and Flanger with good speaker sim and parallel output to have a dirty and clean signal??? Please help im so confused and want to use my money efficiently

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Everything you asked is supplied by Line 6 HX Stomp.

3. Welcome to TB @Federico Nunez.

What you ask is out of my wheelhouse, but seeing how few responses you've received, thought I'd bump your thread and offer some advice, anyway.

I'd save your money and keep what you have and work with it. Learn how to use it to the best of its potential. While doing that, check out the forums and read as much as you can about what is working for other players in your genre, such as crguti's HX Stomp suggestion. Some people don't need/want a parallel out, some do. You'll have to read up on it and make your own decision, maybe borrow some gear or play through a friend's parallel setup.

Even then, what works for one person, may not work for you in your setup/band.

IF at some point down the road you feel you've got everything out of your current gear that you can, but still need/want something more that it's not providing, that's the time all the saving, reading and research will finally be valuable. You'll have a better idea of what you really need, balanced with what you want, what you can get, and what you can afford.

Are you practicing/gigging regularly with the combo amp? Is it enough? I would think that might be more worthwhile upgrading first.

4. I’d have to agree here... I play in a slow down tuned metal band with one guitar player and started in a thrash band with two... I know my 100 watt head and 2x10 didn’t cut it. Curious how your combo amp does.

I’d save your money and research rather than go through lots of mediocre pedals. If you want all of what you have asked for in one then yes save up and go for a Hx stomp or similar.
    I use all of my pedals as is and have a decent head and 4x10 cab but can be more expensive to do all of what you want with single pedals vs a decent multi effect

5. Stick with what you have for now.
    Go bass>compressor>distortion>eq>amp.
    Leave the vox, set the compressor up for a nice bit of squash, set the A/Om up for high gain, low to medium blend, volume and mod to taste. Turn the lowest and highest slider on your eq completely down - there's your cabsim for now. Adjust the other sliders so they sit right with the rest of your band - your tone at home won't work at rehearsal or live.

Don't bother getting your own DI for now - the soundguy will more than likely only ever use his own.

If you're looking for a one stop solution, the Line 6 Stomp will have you covered, but if I were you I would focus on saving up for a new amp/cab first, at least 500W with 4X10" speakers

theunknowndude likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021