Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is a bass distortion pedal worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleabass89, Oct 7, 2000.

1. I'm thinking of gettin a pedal for my bass but i dont really know if it's worth it or not.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Personally, I am of the opinion that distortion is for guitars to handle. Overdrive on a bass could be cool in some heavy tunes, but just a lot of distortion - nah. If you want something distorted, however, I guess any moderately priced pedal will do OK. But I suggest a "try before buy" here, to see if what you play really needs it.

3. A piece of advice: turn down your bass's treble knob all the way down when you play w/ distortion. Too much treble and you get that squeeking rashing sound and no bass. I'd try the Boss ODB-3 first, if I were you. It has a "magic" balance knob which puts the bass back into the sound.

4. Craigenstien

Craigenstien

Sep 4, 2008
    I wouldn't write off bass distortion off completely. Jam sessions are just more fun with them, if you have a pedal and don't quite understand it just fool around with it, someone will be able to help you with it. If you're not sure and don't want to sink large sums of money into distortion, try eBay.

5. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Distortion can be tons of fun. Go into a shop and try some out to decide if you would ever use it. Whatever the answer to that question is should answer your original question.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

A good one, too! Eight years buried, and totally unworthy of revival! Awesome.

7. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Sure why not they aren't too expensive. I've had good luck with a Boss MT-2 and Tech21 XXL. The XXL is more touch sensitive. Play soft less distortion, dig in and it breaks up more. The MT-2 is full on metal distortion, really tight and not too touch sensitive.

I use a Radial BigShotMix to mix the distortion with a clean signal. To me this is the secret to getting a good distorted tone. It allows you to keep the bottom end and add some distortion to tie you into distorted guitars and drums. You really have to play with this in a band situation. I think it sounds crappy solo, but add the band and my bass sound just seems to fit in better.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-BigShot-MIX-Effects-MixInsert-Pedal?sku=150259
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MT2-Metal-Zone-Effects-Pedal?sku=151328
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...tion-Overdrive-Stomp-Box-with-Warp?sku=151800

8. mmmm...zombie women....*drools*

*EDIT* oh the wonders of google

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ATTENTION: fleabass hasn't posted on here in 4 years!

10. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    hahaha....sweet:p

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On another note, those are the two hottest zombies I've ever seen! I would totally let them eat my brain.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had to be careful with the text placement in order to keep the image TB-friendly. ;)

13. I figured that from look at the boo... zombies. Yes, zombies, definitely zombies.

14. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Whoa! Didn't realize this was that old when I posted...just saw it on the first page. My bad. :smug:

15. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    We should try to keep it alive.

16. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    It could have been a coma thread instead of a zombie thread. I'd much rather stare at the words "Coma Thread" to see if you left any normal colored uh... scenery?... showing, rather than crusty green ...scenery.