Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is a bass (or guitar) a 'rig'?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Nov 4, 2004.

1. I have a guitarist friend who refers to his amp and/or his guitar as his rig. Is this proper? I always thought 'rig' meant just the amp/stack.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To me, rig just means amp/stack.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen. Your bass is your axe.

You play with your axe and your rig :)

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    We have always refered to a rig as a guitar/bass & amp set up.

5. Thanx, peeps- can I get 2 or 3 more amp only votes so I can tell my friend he's crazy wrong?

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    rig= amp setup, including any effects or other outboard units used to alter your sound

7. To me, it usually means the amp/speakers/effects, though "rig" might also include the bass or guitar in addition to everything else. It does not mean the bass or guitar alone, though.

Mike

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Anytime I heard the term "rig" I personally envision a wall of speakers with 2 or three tube amps laying on top...but never any instrument in the picture.

Ray

9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Maybe we should see about getting a legal definition in "Groves" ;)

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Odd, I call my bass my Fun stick with strings, and I call my amp/stack "WORK YOU F***ING PIECE OF FLAMING S**T!"

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Rig = Amp/Stack/Rack, if i'm referring to all of my amps, cabs, basses, etc i just use the blanket term gear or bass gear. Example given-my rig is Avatar Cabs [B115h, B210 delta, and B212 on the way] powered by a Rack, yet my gear is well-my rig plus a few different basses.