1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a bass player really necessary?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by et0518, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. et0518

et0518

Feb 3, 2018
    I feel like you don't really need one. A guitar is only an octave higher and it can still cover a lot of the notes that a bass guitar does. Also, you could just use an eight-string guitar and tune the lowest string down to a low E. I know that some bands have eight string guitarists as well as bassists and the bassists play the same notes as the the eight string guitar players, but the bass will make the low end sound "fuller" because of how thick the strings are. But I don't think that really makes any much of a difference. I know this question might make me appear ignorant, but this is my own judgement.

Joonbug, Geoff Wood, smeet and 2 others like this.
  2. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    It’s way more important than a second guitar or any other supporting instrument.

3. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Yeah totally. Bass is pretty much irrelevant. I’m thinking of giving it up completely.

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Also, the bass as an instrument is often a favored instrument over guitar in Jazz groups. In fact, many don’t even have guitarists in their groups. Weather Report being an example of a famous group with us around here.

Point being, it’s all about perspective. There is no right or wrong in music. These days, guitar is pretty much out in current pop music, featuring heavy keys, percussion and synth bass

5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I saw Lacuna Coil play without one. A MacBook is much cheaper apparently.

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    In many music styles, someone has to play bass notes. It doesn't have to be a bass guitar or DB. It could be keys or a tuba or a bassoon. Bass guitar happens to be a convenient instrument in the bass range that sits well with many other instruments in many genres.

If your 8-string guitarist is playing bass range notes, then he is playing a bass instrument. Whether those notes sound very good is a different question.

Starseed, No Treble, ppiluk and 17 others like this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Five bucks says the eight string guitar player is downtuned so he can display his mad 1 finger wonder skills.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Are troll threads really necessary?

Edit: well, of course they are, or we'd have nekkid trolls running around everywhere!

Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353646-302-450.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Can we get a mod to move this to TalkGuitar?

10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Nothing is necessary. Not music nor you nor I. Therefore bass is no more or less necessary than guitar or any other instrument, regardless of their use or role.

11. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Bass is only useful if you don't like watching people dance out of time :)

12. Blasphemer.

13. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Well, there DOES seem to be a feeling that the bassist should confine himself to a certain role that can be handled by pretty much any low-frequency instrument. Most of the bass lines we tend to rave so much about can be played by a keyboard, and plenty of bassists here don't ask for much respect or space, soooooo...

HolmeBass, murphy and Nashrakh like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    OK, so what I practice every evening and do every Sunday morning is totally worthless. The people telling me I'm good at it, and thanking me for what I do must not have gotten your memo. I'm sure the keyboard player's left hand is laughing at me-constantly.

Let's change the name of the site to "Talk about worthless stuff"

15. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    You'd better hold yer tongue, guitar person. Bassists, light the torches and grab the pitchforks...time for the angry mob to run this bass-basher clean outta town!

16. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I don’t understand the question.

17. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Everyone is moving to trombone.:woot:

18. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Your judgement is mistaken. The appearance of ignorance is in fact, a fact. o_O:rollno:

19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I want the 20 seconds it took to skim this stupid thread back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.