Is a bass with a maxed out truss rod worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrillMaster01, Apr 13, 2022.

1. GrillMaster01

GrillMaster01

Sep 21, 2021
    Texas
    I am a beginner looking to buy my first bass and have decided to go the used route to get better value for the money. There is a late 90's Ibanez Soundgear I have my eye on right now that I really like. It is in almost perfect condition; electronics are all good, neck is good and straight, and there is hardly a scratch on it, but there is no room left on the truss rod for adjustment. Is this something that can be repaired for a reasonable price, and if so, will the repair be sustainable? In other words, is it worth buying?

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I would not touch it.

3. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy it either. There are things a luthier can do that will give it a little more travel but that's not a good sign.

jwoiton likes this.
  4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    No way
    Most issues are relatively easy fixes ,(wiring issues, bad potentiometers, bad nut, broken tuning machine etc…) but a bad neck is the one of the biggest issues you could face. Especially if you’re just starting out.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I bought a nice 1996 RI '62 Jazz that was like brand new, the truss rod wasn't maxed out but it was bowed a bit much for me, I would tighten it up and it would nice for a day or two, do it again etc, it turns out the wood was soft, I finally had to buy a new neck for it after having a luthier put a couple of washers behind the truss rod nut.

Mike Marshall and FenderOli like this.
  6. GrillMaster01

GrillMaster01

Sep 21, 2021
    Texas
    That's what I was thinking based on what I'd already heard, but figured I'd ask anyway just to see. Thanks for the advice.

7. NikosP75

NikosP75 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Astoria NY
    With so many used Ibanez SR's of all price ranges why bother with a defective one.

8. GrillMaster01

GrillMaster01

Sep 21, 2021
    Texas
    Yeah, definitely don't want to try and track down a neck that will fit. Even if I managed to find one, with the extra money I'd need to spend, I could've gotten a much nicer instrument.

Grinderman likes this.
  9. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Pass...

10. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    No, no, no. No, sir. Please, no sir.

11. GrillMaster01

GrillMaster01

Sep 21, 2021
    Texas
    Just liked the specs on this one and didn't see any of the same model for sale. That being said, I'm sure there's another model that's identical to it but just has a different jumble of letters and numbers to identify it. Gotta love how Ibanez names their instruments.

Microbass and instrumentalist like this.
  12. GrillMaster01

GrillMaster01

Sep 21, 2021
    Texas
    That's seems to be the general consensus I'm getting from this thread

marchone and ColdEye like this.
  13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    No.

legalbass and bass nitro like this.
  14. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

My first bass was not the world's finest, definitely crap by current standards.

While a bad neck is bad news, the question is, is this a budget bass or a higher cost instrument?

A maxed truss rod is not the end of the world if the neck is straight enough for now, and it's a $150 machine.

A $300 or more machine with a bad neck is a hard pass.

Microbass and Zooberwerx like this.
  15. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Starting out or being at any level

lomo likes this.
  16. As someone else mentioned, you get get a REALLY NICE Ibanez SR (and I LOVE the feel of SRs) for a reasonable price. I think the entry level ones are still only #350 (UD) or so.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If truly maxed-out or otherwise hosed, I may offer an almost insulting rock-bottom price...which the seller will probably decline...and either part-out or replace with an aftermarket neck. I’m talking <$50.

Riis

18. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I'd say NO ... not even if it was given to you for free. The cost/benefit equation of the repair attempt versus the odds of success aren't all that good and there are PLENTY of basses out there with good, straight & stable necks.

Ewo likes this.
  19. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    they make aftermarket necks for 90s era sound gears?

Zooberwerx likes this.