Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Ive been looking at a crate Bx215E cab. its 4 ohm rated, 2x15 inch drivers, american pro drivers, and i have a hartke3500. is this cab crap or a good deal???:confused:
  2. Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    Ive had the bx215 for about 6 months
    its a pretty good amp for what it is. it just matters how big of gigs do u play.

if you have any specific questions email me
  3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    i can get a goliath junior for $275, should i take that instead or go with the crate. By the way on average i play 200-400+ people.
  4. Spiketopia

Sep 13, 2001
    Boise Idaho
    Ive never had a chance to play the goliaths but i heard there really good
    400 people is pushing it depending on the size of the area your playing in. What kind of head are you using?
  5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    a hartke 3500 (350 at 4 ohms) head.
  6. I have the Crate 2x15 with a Firebass 700 and 2x10 MAJ custom built cab, the sound is BIG, you don't say what Bass you are using, check my profile to see the variety of planks i use. I use an Ashdown MAG 200 combo for the smaller gigs, but for sheer power handling the Crate is very good.
  7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    now the hartke 3500 is dual output, both 8 ohms. if i plug in just the crate 2x15 (4 ohm rate, i think), will i get the full 350 watts, or 240?

if 240, in what ways can i get the full 350?
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Usually when I play @ any place that holds 2-400 people, I'm going throught the PA System & my amp/cabs on stage are for that, stage volume.

The Crate 215 cab is an OK cab @ best.
  9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I have a Crate BE 215 and have had it for about 15 years or so. I have the Crate 440 head with it two. Both work great but am looking at adding either an Ampeg PN 410 cabinet with an SVT 4 OR 8 Pro head with it or a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 4x10 with the Carbine M-9 head.
  10. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    The Crate BX-215E can handle up to 300 WATTS @ 4ohms
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The flesh is dripping from the bones.
  12. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I've played through both cabs. The good news is that both sounded good to my ears. The Goliath Jr. has a little more hi-fi sound (which some might call sterile). The Crate produced a surprisingly good sound for Rock and Roll and Blues, with a little breakup. Very similar to Peavey 2x15 cabs I had played.

Which one to buy really depends on your current needs and long term goals. If you need a cab now that can allow you to play gigs of 200 or more without PA/FOH support, than the Crate is the clear winner. The 2x15 cab is much better suited to perform in that role than a single 2x10. On the other hand, if you have PA support, the 2x10 Goliath cab may do just fine for your current gig. And it is more versatile. You can always add a second cab to it in the future for larger gigs. And, you have the option of just taking the 2x10 for smaller gigs or gigs with PA support where you only need a monitor.

The other concern is resale. If neither of these is your "forever" cab, and you intend to sell it at some point, the SWR Goliath Jr. is generally held in higher regard and will likely result in a smaller loss (depreciation) than the Crate cab. So, cost factors may favor the Goliath Jr.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision. And always play through both cabs before buying if possible. In the end, what sounds good to you should always trump resale value, brand recognition, etc.
  13. Psssssssssssst

Hey guys

Don't look now, but this thread is 5 years old.
  14. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Actually 13 :roflmao: !
  15. Multiple resurrections - the thread that would not die !
  16. bassrich

bassrich Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I just scored one of these For use with my Hartke HA3500 and Peavey Century 120 info sounds good for these so I pulled the trigger.