1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a Fender Elite Jazz worth a Yamaha BB734a and a Sire V7?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, May 21, 2018.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I have the opportunity to get a new Fender Elite Jazz in Ocean Turquoise if I give up my Sire V7 and Yamaha BB734a. Is the Elite worth it?

Background:
    I have another active P/J (Talman 300) that I do love, doesn't sound as clear as the BB, but still sounds great and feels amazing to play.
    The Sire neck radius does bug me a bit for some reason.
    I gig weekly in two cover bands that covers, one that is getting pretty successful. These bands cover classic rock, dance, hip hop, and alternative.

What say you gents?

2. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I dunno. In my opinion, the more basses, the better. I only have one, so maybe I’m speaking with no valid experience, but I know I probably wouldn’t sell two basses for one. That being said, if you’ve tried this bass out and it covers both areas those basses excel in, it feels good, and it really calls to you, then I don’t think you can go wrong.

twc1313 likes this.
  3. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    No right or wrong answer, but I own all three and love my Elite Jazz. Because of the affordable price I would feel comfortable selling the MM and the Yamaha. You can always pick up a used one fairly cheap if you decided you want them back in your life. But a broken in Fender Jazz and P bass, especially my Elites, are just classic sounds I could not live with out.

twc1313 likes this.
  4. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I swear the MM in your reply had me thinking you were saying musicman...I’m stupid...

TB24 likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    If get the Elite and keep the BB. The Sire and the Talman would go.
    You already said the Sire neck bothers you and the Talman doesn’t sound as good to you as the B.B.

You should make sure you like the neck on the Fender Elite. It is very different from all those basses you’ve mentioned.

twc1313, Crusher47 and Nunovsky like this.
  6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'd say yes.

twc1313 likes this.
  7. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    The elite jazz is a very refined instrument.
    It’s perfect for those players who may think a traditional single coil is too harsh.
    I get incredibly good tone out of mine at gigs.

twc1313 and lowdownthump like this.
  8. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    I have 14 basses. If I only had my Elite Jazz, I’d be okay with that. It really is that good, for my hands and my purposes

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Since I own 21+ basses, you know my answer :D

maplenecked and twc1313 like this.
  10. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Thanks for all the advice friends. I played the Elite and while I must say that it is a beautiful instrument, well-made, and killer tone; it didn't speak to me as much as I had hoped. However, what did speak to me is a new Stingray Special in Charcoal Sparkle and it will be arriving Thursday. So I will have the Sire V7 and the EBMM.

TB24, lowdownthump and Crusher47 like this.
  11. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    I hear ya'. 1999 Stingray was the last bass (my Wife says "last bass"? No, just most recent) that I got. I played EBMM through the 80s and forgot what a no-nonsense little hammer these guys are. To me, a bit of a one trick pony, but not too much so and if so, it's a good trick. Gotta have one in the stable, right?

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Good choice! As much as I like jazz basses, they don't speak to me as much, and don't quite inspire me the same way my P and Ray do, which is why I'm a P and Ray guy. Make sure you review that new Special! I'm quite curious about those.

twc1313 likes this.
  13. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Lol, that's funny. No, MM = Marcus Miller bass :)

14. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I love my Sub Ray. Like, sure, other basses can be more versatile, but Musicman basses have, at least imo, more personality
    I figured as such after thinking it was music man for like a solid 3 minutes...

15. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    :laugh: