1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a fretless necessary? Poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sufenta, Dec 23, 2006.

1. I own a fretless. Wouldn't be without one.

219 vote(s)
    66.6%
  2. No need for a fretless.

110 vote(s)
    33.4%
  1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I don't own a fretless. Never have. Should I?

2. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

Sure. I just got one, It helps you to be creative in a different way and makes you play flawlessly. I recommend it if you are trying to widen your playing horizons!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Can't hurt any. ;) Learning fretless is like learning to drive a manual transmission car - depending on the project you're working on you may or may not need it. But it's a handy skill to have!

4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Even though I prefer fretted, the fretless sound can't be matched. It's so natural sounding and so pure. But for the stuff I'm currently working on, I play fretted. My opinion is to try a good one and you will FEEL the difference!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is a fretted necessary?

6. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    OK...True:)

7. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i have a fretless. i couldn't see myself not owning one. it's not as hard to learn as most people say, as long as you have fret lines

8. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Perhaps I should re-phrase that...Is a Fretless REALLY Necessary? (for all of those sub-billionaire players;) )

9. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

lol, I thought it was necessary and I make peanuts!!

10. You would hate to "need" one and not have it at your disposal. The fretless sims suck.

11. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    are tuba's necessary?

12. Fretless comes first in my book.

13. rdmjazz

rdmjazz Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary, I played many years without one, but it does add a certain flavor I'd rather not be without.

I do mostly jazz right now so I play my fretless probably 90% of the time. I only use my fretted bass if I'm doing more smooth or pop oriented songs where I need to slap.

14. I'm not sure a fretless bass guitar is necessary... I think a URB should be though... Depends on your gigs. I think accoustic bass guitars sound awful (except for the sound Brian from the violent femmes gets) and that a urb can cover both a fretless gig and an accoustic gig... Just my 2 cents... :)

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing is necessary. For me, I wouldn't be without one though.

16. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Depends on what you want to do. If you've never owned one and you must be told by others how "necessary" it is in order to go and buy one, then you don't need it. It might be fun to have, but you don't need it. You'd know it if you did.

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Is this thread necessary?

18. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    LOL!:D Its just that I have nearly all my bass needs covered and the one larger hole is the fretless thing, and then if I do go for it do I get the MIM Fender or the pretentious botique version?

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Get whatever you want and can afford. Go play some fretless basses, both expensive and inexpensive. If you have never touched a fretless and aren't sure you will like it, just get something like the MIM Jazz you mentioned. However, it really comes down to what you want. Nobody can make that decision for you.

20. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    No, see I'm a highly impressionable youth and I can/will be influenced by my (only) friends here at TB.

Don't worry, if this thread get too abnoxious I'll shut it down, if the mods don't get to it first. It really is legit. if its viewed in the correct light.