1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a Gk 800RBHead, and a Peavey TVX 410, 4X10 a good choice for smooth-acid jazz??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Langueta, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I think I will buy a Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp Head, and a Peavey TVX 410 EX 4X10 Bass Speaker Cabinet(8 Ohm)........
    Is this combination posible??
    I will buy a yamaha trb5 p2......
    I am playing in a acid, smooth jazz band.....similar to lee ritenour or larry carlton....
    Do you think my choices are ok???? Cause I can only try the bass cab...

I will begin playing with these guy who is a great guitar player and he plays for 200 people, regularly......(do you think I need more power, or more quality of sound for these style)
    Here is a link of the music I play, ...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=183388109

2. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    That amp can be pushed loud and big through an 8 ohm cab. The Peavey 410TVX is power hungry and goes deep. The tone will be there but test drive first to see if it puts out enough power for your needs.

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That head and cab should be able to get very, very loud. If you need louder for a gig, you probably will have access to a PA.

A lot of variables go into whether a rig is "loud enough". EQ, types of rooms, drummer volume, etc.

5. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I use the 800rb with a yorkville xc115 and I play Smooth Jazz, Classic Rock, and R&B it works fine for me.

6. spaga

spaga

Sep 29, 2007
    I was thinking if a rig of a gallien krueger 1001RB amp with a peavey TVX115 would be good ... And then add a tweeter so that i could use the bi amp system of the amp.

7. The "tweeter" horn amp is a 50 watt amp crossed over at 5KHz. You would need the 2+,2- connection in a 4 conductor speakon cable (just incase you actually do this) in any GK "RB" series amp except the 800RB which has a seperate 100 watt amp with user selectable crossover (including running the 100 watt amp in full range).

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That's a reasonable backline rig. You should be able to EQ it and get good workable tone. First time I've ever heard Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton referred to as 'acid' jazz though ... smooth jazz, that I'll buy ...

Anyhow, the GK and Peavy cab doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.