1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a guitar EQ pedal enough to cut out low frequencies to play guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sonic Bong, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Sonic Bong

Sonic Bong

Jan 14, 2017
    Hello talkbass!
    I have the opportunity to get hold of a fish'n chips eq pedal for cheap; I need an eq pedal to cut out the low mids and low frequencies for biamping with a guitar amp and not make the speakers blow. I realized that turning the bass knob down doesn't operate the low frequencies handled by the bass.
    The pedal in question can cut as low as 100hz, but nothing below. Do you think it's enough to not make the speakers tear apart when cranked?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I would think you would need an EQ that goes lower preferably all down to 30Hz or something like that like a bass EQ pedal, or even better a High Pass Filter.

When that is said as I understand it most guitar amps will cut out the lows by them self anyway, and the result will be that your bass just will sound quite treblely and upper mid rangy, more like a guitar tone wise.

At low volumes you should be safe though no matter what.

3. Sonic Bong

Sonic Bong

Jan 14, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply! My intention is to biamp a clean bass rig with a distorted tube guitar amp.
    So unless anyone else advises against it, I'll pass the cheap eq to get a real bass one.

4. Get the new MXR 10 band EQ. You can use it on anything and it goes down to 30hz.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It all depends on what volumes you're talking about and the speakers you're goiing through. At low to moderate volumes, a lot of guitar combo amps can be used very effectively with a bass as long as the speakers can handle the lows. You can always look up the specs on your speakers and just cut the frequencies running below their bottom range if you're worried about blowing something. An HPF is probably your best bet to accomplish that.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  6. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Is the 100hz on your pedal not a shelf and instead a narrow band?

I have a 20 dollar behringer bass eq and just use it chop the ultra low and high frequencies that we either can't hear or I know my amp can't reproduce.

7. Sonic Bong

Sonic Bong

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm probably going to crank it to max when I take it on stage. I play in a bass drums duo, so tinnitus inducing volumes are important.
    I guess I'll just get the Behringer one since it fits right into my lazy student budget!