Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is a Hartke 3500 a reasonable match for an MM 2x12 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Oct 3, 2003.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ok - probably the dumb question of the day (what else is new, eh ?) Is 200 watts enough to drive a Music Man 2x12 ? I'm 200 @ 8, 350 @4 and the cab in question is 8 ohm ...

2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    If you play with a fairly loud drummer and a guitar player like I do, than the anser is "NO". If that was a 4 Ohm cab, you'd be in good shape. You're not going to have enough power at 8 Ohms. I have a similar amp and it gets the job done at 4 Ohms (two 8-ohm cabs), but it's not even close with one 8 Ohm cab. BIG difference. That's a heavy, power thirsty cab you've picked out. I know they're a good deal at that $350 price on ebay, but you need more power to push 12's. Also don't forget, that cab doesn't have a horn. A 210 with a horn would sound really nice stacked on there, but then you're talking even more power needed.

Have you thought about ordering a 4-ohm Avatar 212 or 410? That would be a much better match with your head, IMO.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    yeah - I've thought a lot about the Avatar 2x12 in 4 ohm as a single cab. also about the B210 in an 8 ohm cab to pair with a single 15 JBL also in 8. 1 cab vs 2, 2 cabs vs 1 .... I'm having a circular reference!

My current thinking is about going back to a Power Amp / Pre-Amp rack and grabbing Brendan's 2x12. Big enough amp and I can drive the 2x12 and also both of my 15's.

Fact is I really don't need all that volume and it would be pretty rare that I'd get a chance to even get that setup warmed up, but if those cabs sound remarkable different than the 15's, I'd be adding versatility and when given the chance, that's generally my option.

I notice you had a pretty brief fling with your B2R. What's next ?

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a Musicman 2/12 cab.....it likes some juice.

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I bought a SWR WM 2004, but not because I wan't happy with the Ampeg. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. One will get sold. Not sure which. Waiting for the SWR to arrive so I can A/B them. Just though I'd put an ad up to gather interested parties incase I sell the Ampeg. The SWR caught my eye me because it has a space for a rack tuner.

Also, my Avatar 210 arrived today. The Bag End 15 will be here Monday. Can't wait!!!!