1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a Jay Turser Bass Guitar worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markie1985, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Markie1985

Markie1985

Sep 4, 2008
    I currently own a Yamaha RBX 775 (5 String) but i am interested in getting a new guitar (4 String). I play in a rock/punk/post-hardcore band. My ideal bass would be a fender precision bass, but i can't find anywhere where i live that sells them. There is however a Jay Turser Bass, which looks remarkably like a Fender.

Is it worth buying the Jay Turser?
    What are the Pros and Cons about it?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Jay Turser makes low cost stuff. Not sure if that's a pro or a con. I used to play with a guitar player that had a Les Paul version of a Jay Turser, and he loved it. I'd have no reservations about getting one myself. I only wish they made "The Shark" body style for bass.

Kurtenstein likes this.
  3. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    My 6 yr old boy has a P Bass model and it plays and sounds great w/ the right setup. Obviously you pay for what you get but for the price how can you lose?

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I look at Jay Turser much like SX. Decent stuff that most may snub their noses at for no other reason than because they cost less then their Fenders, Sadowsky's, etc.

Most may need a setup and possibly fret job to get the best/lowest action, but they'll be playable and decent for most general players needs.

5. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Why play garbage when you can buy a P bass online for just a bit more? Even a squier P is better than that. Too me its a no brainer. SX on the other hand seems to make decent stuff for dirt cheap. Good luck!

6. Turser is not garbage. They probably make instruments that are better and worse, but so do Fender and Squier.

I have the JTB-401 clone of a '54 P. It's a well-made bass, sounds good, has a nice sounding pickup, and with a good set of flats, it sounds great.

jtb-401.

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

No, only because I think they are overpriced at most sellers. If they were like $150-$175 I'd say sure they're worth it.

I had a JT Beatle bass. It was nice, but it felt like the flimsy bass that it was. My Hofner Icon feels much more substantial.

I'd take an SX over JT any day, but that's just me. If you can get one for less than $200 it's a good deal. More than that and I personally wouldn't bother.

But, as always, try before you buy, if possible.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Jay Turser JTB-401 is at least the equal of any SX I've ever laid my hands on. Last gig my band played, I played the JTB-401 the whole time and it worked great. Looks great, sounds great, plays great, what's not to like?

9. Markie1985

Markie1985

Sep 4, 2008
    What if i change the picks in the Jay Turser to Fender pick ups?
    Will i get the same tone and quality of a fender?

10. If it's the JTB-401, every person I've heard of who's tried putting in a Fender pickup has decided the Turser pickup sounded better and has gone back to the Turser pickup. I can't speak for the pickups or models in their whole line, but that bass is a great value.

But - OF COURSE you won't get the 'tone" and "quality" of a Fender. Tone (the very term turns my stomach because people agonize over it needlessly) and quality are subjective. The sound may be equal to or better than a Fender, but it won't be a Fender. The quality is in your head and in the instrument - and you will always know that it's a Turser, and I doubt you will ever value it as much as you would a Fender, and maybe not as much as you would a Squier. No matter what you do to a Turser, it's a Turser.

Modify as you wish, but don't have the illusion that YOU will ever think it's a Fender. It is what it is - be happy with that. I'm happy with mine.

Aras likes this.
  11. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    no of course not, otherwise pickups would be the most expensive part of a bass, and everyone would just buy a MDF body and fill them with EMG's or Fender Custom Shop 1960's pickups. Quality wise how is a new set of pickups going to make a bass better quality?

but if you want a cheap copy of a p bass no reason not 2 go JT. Just don't expect it to sound like a fender, ever.

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Where do you live that you can't find a P-Bass?

Not even a MIM one at a GC?

13. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    That's exactly what I was wondering.

14. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Get The Turser,They are a bargain,Are they the best hell no but they do everything that a Fender can do.I see Dean up a few threads had a Turser as I did.We both have Hofner Icon bass but I had 2 Turser violin bass guitars and there was little to differentiate these 2.That is not to take away from the Hofner I am just sure that my Turser was a wednesday built bass I also had Turser guitars and they seem good.I used to travel a lot and would pick these guitars up at pawn shops while on the road.check out the Turser web page

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Unfortunately for so many people (as quickly showed up in this thread) if it doesn't have specific names on the headstock (or names that many bass players would never even recognize due to boutique type mystique) apparently it's not worth playing.

Which is so amazingly short-sighted.

Play the Turser... if it looks, sounds and most importantly PLAYS as you like, then buy it and play it. That's ALL that matters, no matter what anyone else tries to tell you.

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    There's more than one person who prefers the JT SCPB pickup over the Fender.

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I'm not saying JTs are bad basses. They certainly are not. They are playable, usually sound pretty good and are inexpensive (relative to other brands). I do think, however, that they are overpriced (as are many other brands by the way). That's just my personal preference. They are not my cup of tea. If you've played one and like it and have the money, go for it.

18. Markie1985

Markie1985

Sep 4, 2008
    I live in Trinidad and Tobago.
    It's an island in the Caribbean, the one closest to Venezuela
    The music stores down here don't sell Fenders which sucks balls cause i keep hear all the great stories of how it plays, and the feel and the sound... and it's not that easy for me to order one.

I just don't want the sound of my band to suck, that's why i'm asking about the JT.

19. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Oh ok...That makes sense.

Is there a Punk-ish scene there to get established and noticed?