Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is a Maple fretboard ok on a fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Jun 26, 2004.

1. I'm thinkin about getting a Brice this week and modding the crap out of it(pretty much the only thing stock on it will be the neck and the body)...but I just wanted to see if the neck/fretboard would hold up since usually fretless basses are made with harder woods.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. A maple fretless fretboard would do fine.

It just be a bit brighter sounded than a normal fretless FB.

4. so should I use flatwounds on it to deaden the sound a little bit? and will flats still give it "mwah" ?

thanks for the help!

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    IT Jazzflats should give you some nice smooth mwah.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a fretless with a maple f/b. I use flats on it. Its still zingy as ****. Lots of muah but it has a zappy sound.

7. define zappy...lol that's one I've never heard before...lol

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm, idk, any other people know what im talking about? Its like, high pitch muah.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The maple fingerboard'll be more aggressive sounding than, say, an ebony fingerboard. The higher frequencies'll feel a bit more pronounced, I think is what figjam is trying to say.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *What he said*

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Fender used maple for fretles P basses in the 70's.

I love the maple board on my fretless 6!

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    *tips hat*

13. ok thanks a lot...I'll be purchasing a Brice Douglas J-5 on monday and I'm gonna mod it to my specs...

new pups (did want Barts,but I read that they're not too great for passive basses)
    Badass V bridge
    new nut (what's best for a fretless?)
    Fender USA pots
    Ultralite Tuners
    straplocks
    remove the pickup cover over the neck pickup (but leave the other over the bridge)
    get another pickgaurd (I like pealoid stuff)
    may even sand it down and paint it a different color (since the swamp ash version is only available in natural)

since this will be my first and primary fretless for at least a few years I really want it to sound good.

I'm really looking forward to this project...will have my local shop set everything up for me...should be fun.

and for around 500 bucks I'll have a bass built to my specs

14. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You could probaly spend $200 more and get yourself parts from Warmoth that are exactly like you want and you don't have to risk ruining the fingerboard by jerking the frets out of it. More wood options, too.

Just a thought.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He wouldnt have to jerk the frets out, dont they come in fretless too?

16. yah I'm getting the fretless version...

I thought about going warmoth...but by the time I paid for a body/neck I'd spend well over 200 bucks...so I figure that this will be ok for now...eventually I wanna get a Moses graphite fretless neck for it...mmmmmmm graphite

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crap, I didn't think about that. :)

Carry on, then. :D

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ;)

19. thanks alot for the help guys!!!

and I just saw that I can get an maple/ebony neck from Warmoth for around 200 bucks...looks like I'll be adding a new neck to this thing eventually too...lol

ok so maybe I should just find a 5 string jazz body around somewhere cheap and do this myself...lol

20. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Nooo! Swamp ash is purdy :(