1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a mod like this possible?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jared Lash, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I am still gassing for an Empress delay and at some point I want to upgrade from my SansAmp to the programmable version, both of which got me thinking.

How does a pedal maker set up a preset option in a pedal like this? I've seen a number of pedals that I've steered clear of because a large number of knobs mean it would be too hard to switch settings at a gig. If it's something that can be done relatively easy by an experienced builder, why don't we see it more often.

And would it be possible to mod a pedal to save presets?

Just wondering.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It requires a small computer brain, plus digital switching controls. It is probably not a big deal for somebody comfortable with programming small task modules and creating physical controls for them, but it's a damn sight more than a "mod".

3. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Sure and "mod" was probably the wrong word. But I guess what I was asking was whether it would be much of a stretch for a pedal builder who created one for his own pedal to incorporate one into someone else's. Because there are a ton of pedals which would benefit greatly from being able to store presets.

This one for example.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Every one of the pots would need to be replaced with a rotary encoder; the switches would also need to be replaced by their digital equivalent; additional switching would need to be added for store/recall/increment/decrement controls; LEDs or an LCD screen would be needed to display the stored patch number; the power supply would need to be modified to also power the computer brain without stealing from the existing circuit; the physical interface from the encoders to the brain would need to be large enough to connect with (I think) two wires for every single encoder pot or switch; and then you'd need more room inside the housing for the brain, which is not large on its own, being just a chip, but which needs a board to live on.

Again it's not at all impossible, but for many pedals it would be a tall order.

5. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the info Bongo. Obviously with a small number of presets (3 on the SansAmp 8 on the Empress) an LCD screen isn't a must, but I would imagine the rest of the innards would be the same as you've described.

Nothing more than idle curiosity I suppose, but it's really interesting stuff.

6. Bongo's on the scent - possible, but very time consuming and complex. Furthermore, from reading around here whatever technology is in those programmable BDDI's isn't highly reliable. There's a few stories popping up about settings not recalling correctly and weirdness when twiddling knobs etc.

7. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    :eek::crying:

That makes my brain hurt....

...but I want one. :bag:

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah they're in Halophaze territory in terms of price and rarity, but unlike the Toneczar, this one is not very natural sounding at all. Still it does crazy junk. That said, I think it would be absolute hell for live use if you needed to change settings on stage.

:bawl: