1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a P.O. Check a safe way to receive payment before shipping ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chiplexic, Apr 5, 2009.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I often read comments by people selling through internet classified ads stating, " if you aren't paying by PayPal then Post Office check only". Is a PO check guaranteed safe payment? If so Why?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If they are sending a money order, simply state the money order will have to be verified before shipment. Just take it to the Post Office and they will give you the go/no go.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly. USPS Money Orders can be (and often are) forged, just like any document. But if the P.O. says it's good, it's good. Just check with them before shipping the item. If you go to the P.O. after noon they should be able to cash the M.O. for you too.

4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    So is a P.O. money order more secure than say one you can buy at the super market courtesy desk or a bank check.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The ones you can buy at the supermarket are not safe at all. Only accept those from somebody you trust. Bank checks can be safe, but your best bet is to only accept ones from a bank that has a branch in your town--that way you can have the same bank verify and even cash it.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yep, take it to the P.O. and cash it. Don't deposit in your bank and hope for the besgt.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    USPS Money Orders are a safe bet and they can be cashed at any Post Office. A good trained USPS employee such as myself ;)can spot a fake if you know what to look for. They can check the number to verify it's authenticity.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Everytime I go to cash one at the USPS, the clerk pulls out this big book that lists all the fake ones by number and checks mine against that list. Once it clears the list, they cash it for me. A USPS MO is now my preferred method of payment for people I do not know.

I also like the suggestion about taking bank drawn money orders to a local branch. I'll do the same. If there is no branch of that bank near me, I do not accept that form of payment.

-Mike

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    While they can be, that doesn't mean they will be.
    :D

It took trips to three post offices before I could cash a recent MO due to the size ($1500).