Is a Peavey 410 TVX efficient?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Jan 21, 2002.

1. A fellow TBr wants to drive one with a Bassman 135. Are they efficient enough?
    Peavey does not post their SPL 1W/1M figures on their website.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Peavey used to post the SPL of their TXF cabs on their website. IIRC, the 410 TXF was 97db. The TVX should be the same.

Hopefully, Peavey's new Pro Series cabs are more efficient...
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If the bassman 135 will only throw out 135 watts (if that's what it stands for) it's not going to be much more than a practice amp, unless you're in a quiet band.

I used to play through a 350 watt head (Hartke) with my single 410TXF, in a loud band situation (200 watt guitarist) and had no problem being heard. My rig's now double that, but that's not the case to be looked into. :)

I went over it, not for loudness, just simply for tone. :) (410TXF and 115BXBW)
  4. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    ROCKBOBMEL rules!!!

Thanks for asking for me man, I hadn't gotten around to it yet...

Anyway, the Bassman 135 is all tube, so I don't know if that will make much of a difference in loudness or not. I'm mainly looking for tone, and I figured if it wasn't loud enough, we could mic it for shows. Anyway, the Peavey should be alright then? Or is 97 a little low for efficiency?
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just for comparison, here are the SPL ratings for two other popular high-end 410 speaker cabs:

Eden 410 XLT - 106db
    SWR Goliath III - 105db

There's a reason the above cabs cost a lot more than the Peavey.

Try not to be influenced too much by statistics. Let your ears decide for you (maybe your wallet too) - not numbers on a spec. sheet...
  6. I think that 97 is on the low side, but if you are going to mike the setup, you will be very happy. My newer Blackface has a line level (Record DI), but I doubt the older silverface ones do.

This cab will carry you a long way until someday you can upgrade. Some people add a 15 cab or a 2-10 of the same brand.(Be careful, make SURE your amp can go to 2 ohmas before you add on.)One real good thing you have going for you is the 4 ohm if you stay with that one cab.